How many angels?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Drewbis

reMember
Feb 16, 2004
I've got a 40g tank I'm planning on putting predominantly angels in. How many angels can I put in the tank? I was thinking about 8 and then having another school of large tetras (I haven't decided what kind yet), and a pleco. Is this too many fish, or can I get more? Also, what kind of tetras go best with angels?, I know that blackskirt and neon tetras are a no-no. Thanks for the help

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
If you want a mated pair of angels I would start with 4 or so and see if a pair forms. Then you can see about trading in the others. But in a 40 gallon I wouldn't have more than a single mated pair of angels. They get big and they get aggressive when mating (as most cichlids do). A 40 gallon doesn't offer a lot of room to escape. Adding in a school of larger tetra is a good idea, maybe emporer, or lemon or maybe even bleeding heart. they shoudl all get big enough to stay away from the angels and also are more docile than something like a black skirt or serpae. I would avoid a common pleco. They get too large for that tank. Perhaps if you are thinking of getting rid of algae then a bristlenose would be best. They get4-5 inches. Or true SAE's, say 3-4 of them. But if you want some action ont he bottom them a small school of cory catfish would be nice, say 6 of them to start.

Drewbis

reMember
Feb 16, 2004
Do angels go well with Harlequin Rasboras and hatchets?

Last edited:

JinxXx0085

AC Members
Jun 12, 2005
Montana
I have 2 angels with 6 rasbosa, no problem. They get along just fine. I'm not sure about Hatchet, never had them before. I think its possibly ok.

Candycat21

Dec 17, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Hey There,

I agree with the last couple of posts. Don't go with more than 4 Angels in a 40 gallon. They do get fairly large and can be very territorial and aggressive once they mature and even more so if they pair up, in which case you would only be able to keep the pair of angels in there in addition to the tetra school you would like.
I have harlequin rasboras and rummynose tetras in with my angels to name a few. The bleeding hearts are a good idea too, they're very pretty.
Hatchet fish should be okay, keep in mind they are also a schooling fish.

CharlieV

AC Members
Feb 16, 2005
I currently have 30 cardinal tetras with my angels. If you buy them at the same time / let them grow together they are less like to try and eat the tetras.
I have 7 in my 100g now and am looking to sell back no less than 3 if i get two pairs. I have heavily planted with swords to help the smaller ones. I would suggest the same as everyone else, 4 angels with the view to keep a mating pair

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store