My Betta Died!!!!! Advice for Betta

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

palmbreeze

Fish are friends...not food!
Jul 26, 2005
Ohio
I posted about my constipated Betta and I wanted to follow up...

Maybe if I share my story, other Betta owners will be more aware. My Betta was a Christmas present, and I loved him dearly. He was so friendly and watched me all the time. Well a few weeks ago he wasn't acting like himself. He was hiding under some rocks. Then I noticed he was bloated. Ok so he doesn't poop and I figured he was constipated. I bought him his own bowl and frozen peas. He wouldn't eat peas or algae tablets. I treated him with epsom salts. Not getting any better I got terribly worried and then I noticed his scales were starting to stick out a little last night! He got dropsy! I ran to the pet store bought some Maracyn-Two and some veggie food. I bought him a new tank and started treatment. The next day (today) he died! :sad: :sad: :sad:

When I put him in his new tank...I transfered his normal water into the new tank in addition to new water. It was three gallons of Betta's water with two gallons of regular water. I made sure the temperature was the same and everything. I was SO careful not to do anything wrong. I tested the water today and it had a little bit of ammonia in it. I don't know what happened. Maybe he just got too sick, or maybe I did something wrong.

After all my betta research, I don't think I was feeding him the proper food. Make sure you feed your betta a variety of food so he doesn't get constipated. And the first sign of him not feeling well...do something! And watch him VERY closely for other symptoms.

I'm going to bury my poor betta by the creek today. :sad: Everyone take care of their Bettas! I hope you have better luck than me.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Did you transfer him to an uncycled tank? The water from the old tank wouldn't do much in the way of importing beneficial bacteria.

Sorry for the loss.

reignman40

AC Members
Jun 15, 2005
Spokane, WA, USA
That's my thinking. He may have been too sick as well but when you transferred him unless you transferred the filter and gravel, etc, the new tank was uncycled and would begin to build up ammonia and start the cycle again.

Sorry for you loss. Hate losing fish, especially ones that were presents.

Curtis

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
As far as I know constipation doesn't cause dropsy....but then again, I don't think anyone really knows what causes it.

Don't feel bad Palm....I don't think it was anything you did or didn't do. I've had 3 bettas succumb to dropsy during my fish keeping career....and I know it wasn't anything I had done to cause it. I think it's like a virus or bacteria or something...some are more prone to it than others.

Since you gained all this betta keeping knowledge taking care of your little friend...don't waste it...go out and find yourself another one. It'll cheer you up ! Just give your tank a good cleaning. None of my other betta ever caught dropsy from the ones that had it...but it doesn't hurt to be cautious.

Holly9937

AC Members
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
My betta was constantly constipated when I first got him, plus he would have swim bladder problems. I finally found a food from www.bigalsonline.com (it is sold in a triangular shaped clear tube with a red lid, its only a couple of dollars) that is the only thing I feed him now and I've never had any more problems. Sorry to hear about yours.... Are you getting another?

FisheyLisa

Fish-a-roni
Nov 2, 2004
CT
sorry about your betta! I have solved constipation in the past (no experience with dropsy) and all you did would have solved constipation. As far as I know, once your fish has dropsy, it is very lucky to survive, I don't think many do. I also don't think that a betta in one tank over night or even over 2 nights would build up lethal ammonia.

A varied diet is good. Betta's need protein, but don't feel that every betta you may get in the future needs to have a crazy regimen. Unfortunately you had a bad learning experience, but it is very cool that you now know how to deal with a variety of new things to keep any other betta's healthy in the future.

Good luck!!

palmbreeze

Fish are friends...not food!
Jul 26, 2005
Ohio
Thanks for all the advice! I am getting a new Betta. I have to think of a cool name for him, b/c Betta will not do. ;) My local pet store is getting a huge shipment today of Bettas, so I plan on going tomorrow to find the perfect one. Wish me luck!

jaylin

Don't ask if you don't want to know
Aug 14, 2005
Denver-ish Colorado.
I'm wondering where the pea information comes from? I mean, I've seen sites that suggest this, but where did they get this information? Was there ever a study done? Is this someone's opinion? Does it come out of a book? Does anyone know?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store