Planning a 140 gallon brackish aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

zeelot

Registered Member
Feb 7, 2003
Sevierville, TN
Visit site
I am new to the brackish world and need advice on populating and preparing a new 140 gallon tank. My current plan is to create a sloped mudskipper environment to a mangrove/bank area. Is it too ambitious to plan for a duel ecosystem for my first brackish tank? Any advice on good species combinations would be appreciated, as would any input on special equipment for this tank.

Thanks,
Zach

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
You should have some Anablep Anablep (4-eyed fish), Archers, and assorted gobies on the bottom. If you want more mid water dwellers look to some of the mollies, Glassfish, etc. Come up with some more specific questions and we can help ya a bit better.

zeelot

Registered Member
Feb 7, 2003
Sevierville, TN
Visit site
This will be a custom tank, so I need ideas for the specs. Right now, I'm leaning toward a toned down 60Lx20Wx18H (in inches). That's 93.5 gallons by my calculations. Also, I plan to combine archers and mudskippers with the mangrove swamp design. I know that archers are a schooling fish. Would 4 of them be comfortable enough with 2 mudskippers and vice versa? Is my planned tank large enough to support these fish? My SG will be around 1.005 and I plan to have about 10 inches of water with 1 inch of substrate. That would leave 7 inches of open air for the archers to hunt and enough room for mangroves to grow on a mound of sand/mud. I was also thinking about a domed top to allow more space for insects and plant growth, thus immersing the fish into a more natural habitat. From what I've read, it seems that both skippers and archers enjoy crickets. Could I feed them with the same food source, and is it possible to use an automatic feeder with these fish (and if yes, what feeders are recommended)?

Other miscellaneous questions: How much space would 2 mudskippers need out of water, and how many mangroves should I have? What kind/model of filter and heater would be preferable? What kind of lighting should be used? How necessary is a water change and what percent of water should I change? What is the ideal current for this tank, and how could I best achieve it?

Sorry to flood you guys, but I'd rather ask these somewhat dull questions than meet with disaster.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store