Poison Dart Frogs....I have some !!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
I wasn't sure where to post this because there aren't any threads for amphibians or viveriums...so I put it here.. :p:

I have been saving up and waiting for these little guys and finally we went and got 3 of them today !! :dance: :dance:

Here's some pics...I took ALOT of them..but these are the best....

Here's one of their new home...a 20 long I just setup today....

These little guys/gals..(whatever!)....are fantastic ! My daughter picked out a green and black auratus..but I haven't been able to get a good pic of that one yet as it's a bit smaller and more shy.

If this store wasnt' within driving distance from me...I would never be able to have them...it costs like 70$ just to ship em !! Everything in the store was on sale and we got the green and black for only 25$...they usually goes for around 40$.

Had a fun day....now I have to go clean up a big mess !! :dance: :dance:

Lila

Boston!
Oct 9, 2002
MI, USA
My son would love those. I wasn't aware you could purchase any. Good luck with them. They're beautiful.

Lila

Larissa

Katherine Hope
Jun 9, 2005
brenham, tx
they are really, really cute. however, how does the poison thing work? can you touch them? could they be dangerous?

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
Poison dart frogs are not poisonous when bred and raised in captivity. They get their poisons from ants that they eat in the wild. If you catch one in the wild...and they don't get those ants to eat...the poisons eventually wear off.

These frogs I got are bred and raised right in the store where I purchased them from. The Green and Black auratus was 25$....I'll post a pic of him when I get a chance to get on the puter with the photoshop program on it..lol...my daughter is playing right now... :rolleyes:

The Oelemari...the one on the left in the pic of the two....was 45$ and the Citronella was 50$. The price had been reduced before the sale...and they took another 5$ off on top of that. The ultimate time for buying these fellas..glad I waited ! The G&B usually goes for like 40$ !

These little guys are just as much fun and personable as a betta ! The Citronella especially...comes right up to the front of the glass when I come over to stare....lol...He's the largest of the 3 and is probably more used to being fed..where the G&B is the smallest and very shy.

They have some more growing to do though. They are about 2-3 or 4 months old and don't reach maturity till around a year. I hope we do well with them ! They can live up to 16 or so years. :)

Watcher74

Senior N00b
Feb 5, 2004
Texas
Visit site
Back when I lived in Virginia Beach they sold them for $120 a pair at Animal Jungle! And you had to purchase at least a pair of them.

Great price and way cool!

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
They must have been about a year old if they knew they were pairs....you can't tell with these little guys/gals for at least a year.

I would have liked to get pairs...but they don't sell thier adults..they are thier breeding stock....just the froglets. I would have to buy at least 3 of the same kind in order to have a 75% chance of getting a pair....hhmm...too much..and not to mention if you get 3 females....they fight to the death once they mature...:eek: I wanted a variety so I went with one of each of the ones I wanted...though...there is one more I would like to have, but I guess that'll be for thier sale next year ! :D

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
these are undoubtably the most beautiful of the frogs. I just saw on X-treme today on the Animal planet that the Poison Arrow (dart) frog has the deadliest poison of all animals... when in the wild. The poison is from the insects (ants) that it eats. They said in the wild, the equivelant to 3 grains of salt would kill a person. Congrats on them Emg, they sure are nice looking!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store