Clown Pleco

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rdelbalso

AC Members
Jan 13, 2003
Boulder, CO
Visit site
I have had a clown pleco for a couple of months now. I am a little disappointed that I never see him. Are they normally 100% nocturnal? I now he works because the algae is gone in the tank, he does a great job.

My main question though is what to feed him. I bought some algae pellets and my pictus cat keeps eating those before the pleco can get to them. So I started putting a 1/4 of a zuchini in there and he seems to like it, but it really makes a mess in the tank. Could anyone give me some suggestions on other items to feed him that make less mess and also, how much should I be feeding him?
Thanks

Ronne

IAMCANADIAN
Nov 27, 2002
48.25'00"N, 123.22'00"S
Visit site
My pl*co loves zucchini as well. I give him pieces about 1/2" thick at a time but cut the centre out of it though to avoid having the seeds all over my tank. I leave it in for a day or two and then take out what he hasn't eaten.

kuhli

AC Members
Give your plec a peice of yam they absolutely love yams. They are not messy either.
Kuhli:)

val

Oct 18, 2002
Eastern Shore, Maryland
I never see my clowns either, in fact my kids now play hide and seek with them, trying to find them. For each time they find one, they get an additional quarter for the offering plate. But man, what boring fish...

Thanks for the idea of yams. I eat them a lot, so I'm more likely to be able to feed them yams than I will zucchini (I hate zucchini;) )

Val

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Reduce the size of the offering...I put 3 1/4 inch slices in once a week, and I have a total of 8 fish that eat them. A 1/4 of a zucchini might be a bit much for one fish to eat quickly.

punch

AC Members
Mar 25, 2002
Petaluma, CA
I have 2 clowns in my tank. (I think?) I remeber buying them. I remember putting them in the tank. I remember seeing them when I took out a bunch of stuff in the tank for cleaning.
Sooo. I pretty much just remember them, Becouse I NEVER see
them anymore! But I don't have any dead bodies and my other fish are fine. So I think there still in there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store