salt water cichlids??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fish_breeder_05

American Idiot
Aug 23, 2005
Hastings, NE
Don't misunderstand this! I am not talking about rift lake africans.

If my memory is correct, fresh water and salt water angels are related. fw angels are cichlids. would that mean that because of the relations the sw angel is also a cichlid?

NatakuTseng

I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts
Jan 3, 2004
Vermont
cichliddomain.com
All fish are related. SW angels and FW angels are completely different. To my knowledge there are some species off the coast of brazil that do occasionally show up in colonies in full saltwater, I can't give you what species in particular, but they are considered full freshwater species generally. There are really no marine "Cichlids" they all have their own little niches instead.

YoFishboy

I'll sleep when I'm dead...
Feb 16, 2005
Cichlids are secondary freshwater fish - they started out as fresh water fish, returned to the sea, and then returned to freshwater - that is why they are tolerant to salt and high mineral content. Asian cichlids, particularly chromides for example, show their best colors in brackish conditions.

Last edited:

NatakuTseng

I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts
Jan 3, 2004
Vermont
cichliddomain.com
I have to play the Devil's advocate here TKO, but there are some species that normally are pure FW fish off the coast of SA that have established themselves in full SW. Give me a bit to dig up the info, I know it came from a reliable source just need to find it again.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Hey no problem, just pointing out that Cichlid is diverse group of fish with different needs. (oh and its TKOS).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store