Clown loach

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

svtcontour

AC Members
Aug 6, 2004
Visit site
Just picked up six 2.5-3" long ones. My idea is that they will go into my larger tank but I'm afraid they might get eaten (I have a 100 gallon with a single 6-7" dempsey and two 4" angels (paired). That tank also has 15 black skirt tetras about 2" long. The blackskirts have been safe so far but my friend donated a three glowlights at nearly 2" long and the next day I wouldnt find anything except for one head. Oh almost forgot, I also have two 4-5" long chinese algae eaters in there.

For now I'm thinking about keeping the loaches in a 38 gallon on their own until they put on another inch. I think they will be fine then. Whats the best way to promote some growth in these fish?

PS my 38 gallon has one emperor 400 filter. That should be fine for the six clowns right?

FisheyLisa

Fish-a-roni
Nov 2, 2004
CT
www.loaches.com is a good resource. I don't know if your tank size will stunt their growth considering their size now, and how many are in the tank, but I'd look into how that effects what you have.

More frequent smaller feedings is what i have read is recommended.

sumoschro

Gold Thunder
Aug 16, 2003
Portland, Oregon
Temporarily it would be alright, but I doubt they'd grow an inch in that small of a tank. Fish release growth inhibiting hormones when in aquariums that cramped. As far as putting them in the 100 gallon, I would use caution because your algae eaters would most likely compete and quarrel with your Clowns. they become boisterous as they age, and at 4 - 5", I would guess they are fairly old.

svtcontour

AC Members
Aug 6, 2004
Visit site
Ok well I took a chance and put three of the six in my 100 gallon. I'm sure if the dempsey wanted to eat one, he could fit it in his mouth but then again, I have not lost any blackskirt tetras which would also just fit into the dempseys mouth so maybe he went after the fish my friend donated because it was a lot easier (glowlights). If in one week, I have not had any scars or casualties, I will add the rest. I'm sure they will grow faster in the 100 gallon as well.

chefkeith

Loach Inspector
Aug 17, 2003
Detroit
I hope and think that the clown loaches will be safe. They have razor sharp spines in there eyelets that they use for defense in such cases.

Anyways I'd put the Dempsey in the 38g tank and make the 100g tank a clown loach tank. But thats just me.

YoFishboy

I'll sleep when I'm dead...
Feb 16, 2005
I think your loaches are JUST big enough to be ok...if you wanted to grow them out a bit in the 38g, you could..but they are kinda slow growers...you could cancel out the growth inhibiting hormones by very frequent and large water changes..but, again, I think they will be ok in the 100g..give them lots of places to hide...enjoy..clown loaches are very cool!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store