!! Hurt guppy after giving birth !!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

puppylover794

AC Members
Jul 8, 2005
California
MY guppy...not the one that gave birth yesterday, and not the one that the baby was stuck for awhile..but the one that gave birth 2-3 days ago isn't looking so good. She had around 30 babies that were perfectly healthy no still born or eggs or half babies. After she was completely flat unlike the other two who gave birth. She still is just as flat but she is having problems now.

She seems to be swimming almost upwards...and when I came home I found her sitting on the bottom of my tank breathing hard. It almost looked like she was trying to swim because her fins were wailing but she kept falling back down. Some fish are being mean to her or bugging her.

My other 2 female guppies that gave birth and my balloon molly that gave birth are all doing fine and every other fish in the aquarium is perfectly healthy. I don't know if giving birth caused this...what is wrong with her, and what should I do??

Please help me as soon as possible! Thanks a lot!

mishi8

Go fly a kite!
Jan 13, 2005
Alberta
I'm sure you can see this question coming...

What are the tank parameters? Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate? How long has your tank been set up and is it fully cycled?

puppylover794

AC Members
Jul 8, 2005
California
No, the water levels are perfect I checked them just last night. And if it was the cause of that, i'm sure the other tankmates would be having problems too. My tank has been fully cycled and running for about 1 year 1/2 now...although I've changed the types of fish in there.

I decided to seperate her but she isn't looking very good...I really hope she gets better and doesn't end up dying tomorrow. :(

I just found 2 baby fry in my tank! Guppies! I found who they were coming from..but strangely they came from the guppy that JUST gave birth a day or two ago! I thought she was for sure done!

Interesting..

pikwik

Fish Are Friends
Jun 13, 2005
Surrey, BC
Sorry to hear about your guppy mother. Guppies dying after birth is pretty common. I have not had a mother guppy live more than a week after giving birth. I did get 25 fry that survived from the last bunch though, that makes up for losing one mother to me. I took 10 of the fry to my LFS yesterday and got 2 beautiful black skirt tetras in exchange. It really does suck when fish die but in this case try and look at the good things that can come from this.
Hey, Maybe she won't die. Who knows? :D I hope she gets better!!

puppylover794

AC Members
Jul 8, 2005
California
Thanks Pikwik..and thanks for the advice!

Right now i have 60 guppy fry healthy! and 25-30 balloon bellied molly fry!

So yeah, if most of them survive then i guess it does make up for one..i really hope she lives though and that my other females don't get the same problem..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store