eels

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nzafi

AC Members
Feb 8, 2003
Visit site
Can you keep a fire eel and tire track eel together?How fast do they grow?what size tank do you need for them when full grown?and how hardy are they?thank you

catjo

AC Members
Dec 4, 2002
New Braunfels, Texas
Visit site
I've never tried the two together but wouldn't think there would be a problem. If there is I'm sure someone here will let you know. Between the two though I think the tire track is the better choice. Just know that MOST and maybe ALL fire eels are live food eaters ONLY! If you are not willing or do not have access to live foods it would be best to stay away from this eel. The tire track on the other hand will take frozen beef heart, frozen shrimp and dried krill. They still only like meat and most will not take pellets but they are still much easier to feed than the fire eels.

Best of luck!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
If you get both eels at the same time, at the same size, you should be okay. I tried introducing a tire track to my peacock, and ended up losing the peacock. If you have a large tank--more than 55, it should work out.

Personally, though, I wouldn't do it. I'm afraid they will end up competing with each other, and fighting.

nzafi

AC Members
Feb 8, 2003
Visit site
if i do it they will be placed in a 125gal.....and i will be buying them at small sizes.....i want babies......thats why i am also asking for how fast they grow.....thank you for the replies so far

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
A 125 will be fine for 2--plenty of room.

Growth is based on feeding and temp. High protein fed daily will result in faster growth. I use a riser tube to pour the food in and gaurantee that the eel gets his share, and I make sure to pour the food into a plant that hugs the bottom, where the other fish aren't as efficient at getting the food.

Try bloodworms, and microworms. Mine loved earthworms, but they must be chopped into tiny bits, or the eel may choke on it (yes, I had this happen--had to catch the fish and pull the worm from his mouth :rolleyes: )

Make sure you see them eat before purchase--these guys are notorious for refusing foods.

GL!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store