Will Tannis harm my fish or plants..

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tech501

Registered Member
Aug 30, 2005
:sick:

Hi all,

Me names Stu and I am new here as you can guess..
I live in the land down under (New Zealand) and haven't had a lot to do with planted tanks before...
I have been keeping fish for about 4 yrs now (160ltr tank with bristlenose cats, peppered cory's noen tretas..).
I have just setup my new 500ltr (1500mm x 600mm x 600mm tank, with a fulval 404, Eheim 2026 p2, 2 x ebo-jaber 300watt heaters, 1 x auqa first stainless steel 300watt heater, 2 x 200 jbl protemp under sub heaters, jbl auqabase dirt, a Eheim CO2 kit, 4 x Fluo fittings and a hell of a power bill......) and have a couple of qu's for you all.
In the tank i have put two big bit's of driftwood, one was soked for three days till the water was clear. The other was two big to fit in anything but the bath... and the wife wasn't to keen on me doing that, so i washed it down 12 times and put it in the tank......
Now i have fulled it and yes the water has gone yellow.....
so here goes..

will it hurt my fish? (brist noses, pepp cory's, neon's, elephant nose, dwarf gomei's, molly's...? not all at once, but added over a couple of month's)

I understand that the tannis maybe good for the fish.. what about the plants? ( i only have the two in there so far)....

will the tannis hurt the bug's in the filters?

:laugh: yea yea, you can all stop laughing now, just no one here seems to know, not even the lfs..

any help you can give would be great...

thanks all

stu

CharlieV

AC Members
Feb 16, 2005
Tannins can cause tannic acid in your tank which could lower the PH and KH. I encourage it in my 100g (450litres) as am trying to reduce my PH. It will not harm your plants or fish (unless it crashes your PH) or bacteria just makes the water look like tea.
Of course if you have low KH which is then used up byu the production of the tannic acid then your in for some trouble as there would be no buffer capacity for you PH.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
The above info is good but also tannins are a source of soluble iron which plants love. So it is actually good for your plants.

happychem

redorkulated
Dec 9, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
All things in moderation is the key, of course.

I don't think that it will hurt the fish, but whether or not they enjoy it has more to do with their origin, which is probably worth researching.

Keep up with your water changes and if the water becomes so dark as to be a concern, do more water changes. :troll:

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
The tannis is like using peat-moss as a filter--it lowers PH and softens water. If you have fish that like that kind of water==no problem (tetras, barbs, ect.) Mollies like harder water (not tannis water).

Also a poly filter will help take the "yellow" out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store