african rope fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kuuipo73

kuuipo
Aug 31, 2005
illinois
I purchased an African rope fish for my daughters 45 gal. She had some large tetras, danios, pleco, total of about 14 fish. I made sure the tank was totally closed at the top so it would not escape. I got it the right food, I think. After about 1 week or so, it was dead. But, in that week, 3 danios disappeared, 1 red eye tetra lost an eye, and the pleco completely disappeared! What can eat a pleco?! Since it has died, so have almost all of the fish. We are down to 3 and the old algae eater. When we bought the rope fish, they said it would be fine with what we had. Then another shop said that they eat fish, and should not be with other fish. Still have no idea what killed everything, water tests good at the shop. Added some meds just in case. So, any ideas on what is killing everything?? And can a rope fish be with others??? That was her favorite and she wants another one when we get the tank stabilized. It has been a few years since I had my tanks set up, so any help you can offer is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

GDominy

Bottom feeders Rule
How large was this Bichir? (African Rope Fish) They are carnivores and will readily eat small fish, usually at night. They can get somewhat large, so keep that in mind.

As far as food is concerned they'll eat live; fish, earthworms, Tubifex , insects, tiny frogs; chopped meat; occasionally acclimated fish will accept tablets. Frozen Bloodworm, Brine shrimp, etc..

If were only talking about a tiny fish.. say under 6" he might have nibbled on the tetra's and danio's.

Are you sure the pleco just dissapeared? he didnt work his way into a filter or jump out of the tank? Are you fish showing any signs of stress or disease? Always something to consider when you add new fish.. it might not be the fishes fault others are getting sick.. he could have simply brought something with him....

kuuipo73

kuuipo
Aug 31, 2005
illinois
he was about 8-10 inches I would guess. How large are we talking full grown?? We fed him brine shrimp, but it was the freeze dried chunks. I did see him come up to eat that. The danios were just zebra danios, so not too big. And they did disappear overnight. The fish show no signs of any illness that I see. No dots, white stuff, none of that. They all looked fine until they just started dropping off. Now nothing has died for 3 days, so we are thinking maybe the meds helped. The pleco, hmmmm, where did he go. I just cannot figure that one out. I have looked everyhwere. That will probably just remain a mystery. He couldnt have gotten out, top is tight. Maybe somehow he is under the undergravel filter. I will check that out.

What fish would be good to put with a Bichir? And how big do they get again?? Maybe this is not the fish for us. What else do you think is a cool sort of fish?? My daughter is always looking for something different. Thanks for your help!

GDominy

Bottom feeders Rule
It honestly depends on the species.. They range from 12-28". Generally speaking.. if you want to keep bichirs, you want to keep them with medium sized fish that are too large to fit in its mouth.

I would do some reading up on the fish, as they are not your best community fish. They are very cool, but might be a bit more work then you want for a family tank, if you catch my drift...

Does your daughter lean more toward unique fish? Is it more about behavior.. or appearance?

kuuipo73

kuuipo
Aug 31, 2005
illinois
She definately loves unique fish. The appearance I suppose would be first, and behavior is interesting to her as well. But she loved "dragon" as she called her rope fish because he ws different all around. Sje is very into my moms salt tank and likes to know all about the different fish because they are all so unique. So, any ideas you have would be appreciated. Thanks for all your help!

Candycat21

Dec 17, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Well, your ropefish definitely ate your danios and probably nipped at the others which left some scars...or in some of your fishes cases no eyes :eek:
Ropefish can get to a good size of 36" and are verocious eaters! Mine will eat anything the size of his head or smaller. I feed him bloodworms, brineshrimp, live ghost shrimp and feeder guppies on a daily basis...not all at the same time, I vary it up every so often.
As for tankmates, make sure you keep them with fish that are the same size or larger than them...and make sure they won't be able to fit in its mouth...if the ropefish thinks it can eat it, he's going to try :rolleyes:
Minimum size tank for one of these guys is a suggested 90 gallons. Your 45 will be okay for the meantime, but you will have to invest in a larger tank soon.
I keep mine with Angels without any problems. Gouramis would be okay and any large tetras...ones that get a good 2 or 3 inches at least....again though, you're going to be limited to what you can add in that size tank.
Just browse around and see what you like or what catches your eye...then if you have any questions, feel free to ask us, just do research on the fish before you buy it, to prevent any future problems etc...save you some headaches in the long run :thm:
Good luck and keep the questions coming! :dance:

ghinksmon

AC Members
Aug 30, 2005
Northern NJ
Candycat21,
I've always been interested in the ropefish but have rarely heard of any longterm success with the fish, until your post. What are your water conditions? From the tank mates I'm assuming pretty neutral pH and moderate hardness. How long have you had it?
Thanks

kuuipo73

kuuipo
Aug 31, 2005
illinois
My daughter has only had this tank for a few months, but it is an established tank from a realative, (we used the same gravel so we wouldnt have to start from the complete beginning, and the same fish). We added only 2 danios, pleco, and the rope fish. As far as water conditions, all the pet shop ever tells me is that everything is ok. I see them test everything, not just ammonia, but they never tell me. I asked and they said "It is all ok". But I think I remember from my days owning several large tanks and working at the pet store - that the local water is neutral and not too hard. I am thinking there is no new rope fish in our future. But, any ideas on unique fish for her would be great! You are all so helpful. Thanks!

Holly9937

AC Members
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
Its really helpful to have your own test kit, then you don't have to rely on the LFS (especially since many of the employees don't know much about the correct way to keepfish :( ). You can get a really cheap master test kit from aquarium pharmaceuticals at www.bigalsonline.com.

As for other fish, what do you have left still?? My suggestion would be to take her to the store and let her show you what she likes, make a list then come home and do a little research/post on here to find out if they would work. Promise her you'll be going back to the store in a couple of days to get the fish :)

Candycat21

Dec 17, 2004
Charlotte, NC
ghinksmon:
Actually, my water is soft and acidic. My pH is 6.0 and I have a hardness of about 4 dgh
I've had my ropefish for almost a year now. He's now a good 19" :thm:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store