Need a list of good advanced books

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dale W.

Formerly known as "Reefscape"
Oct 7, 1998
Koloa, Kauai, Hawaii
www.TheKOR.org
I did this in the marine section but I would like a good list of books on FW aquariums that I can put in the archives for future use.

Please list the book title, Authers, and a brief description of the book. I am going to post this same message in the newbie section so I would like the list to be split up between advanced books and beginner books. Advanced books being listed here.

Thanks

Last edited:

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
First and above all:

Aquarium Atlas, Dr. Rudiger Riehl & Hans A. Baench, MERGUS, Melle, Germany. Volumes 1-3 plus Photo Index are available in English.

The series is not perfect, but is at least an order of magnitude better than anything else.

Specialized titles:

The Manual of Fish Health, Dr. Chris Andrews, Adrian Excell, and Dr. Neville Carrington, Tetra Press, Morris Plains, NJ. ISBN 3-92380-37-5. Getting old, but still quite good and useful.

The puffers of fresh and brackish waters, Dr. Klaus Ebert, Aqualog, Morfelden-Walldorf, Germany. ISBN 3-931702-60-X. A most impressive monograph on these commonly misidentified and therefore abused fish. Very impressive.

- Most Aqualog publications are worthwhile, even though expensive, for hobbyists interested in the subject fish. Where would we be without the Loricariid volume as well?

Rainbowfishes, Dr. Gerald R Allen, Tetra, Melle, Germany. ISBN 1-56465-149-5. In-depth info on these fishes.

MP

AC Members
Jan 6, 2000
Chicago area, IL
"Fish Medicine" Michael K.Stoskopf. 1992 W.B.Saunders Co.ISBN 0-7216-2629-7
The most comprehensive and informative book on the subject, IMO. Not for an occasional reader. Very serious reading with a lot of relevant data. No pretty pictures. It's not a substitute for a disease ID book. Expensive.

"Aquatic Systems Engineering: Devices and How They Function"
Pedro R.Escobal. I have the 1st Edition, 1996 Dimension Engineering Press ISBN 96-84422
The book is full of substance. Clear explanations, principals, simple enough calculations.

"Encyclopedia of Live Foods" Charles Masters. 1975 TFH ISBN
It's so sad that the book was never re-printed.

"Captive Seawater Fishes. Science and Technology" Stephen Spotte. 1992 John Wiley and Sons, Inc. ISBN 0-471-54554-6
A solid scientific work, a rich reference, a pleasure to read (I'm still grateful to RTR for his suggestion to check the book). Don't let the "marine title" scare you away. Expensive.

"The Marine Aquarium Reference. Systems and Invertebrates" Martin A.Moe, Jr. 1989 Green Turtle Publications ISBN 0-939960-05-2
Again, don't let the "marine title" scare you away. 80+% of the book is perfectly applicable to FW aquarium. Excellent reading suggested for aquarists of any level. Perfect explanations, useful data, and a pleasure to read.

"South American Eartheaters" Thomas Weidner. 2000 Cichlid Press
ISBN 0-9668255-1-9
The best and the only.

"Aquarium Plants" Christel Kasselmann. 2003 Krieger Publishing Co.
ISBN 1-57524-091-2
Equal to Baensch atlases, but, instead of fish, deals with plants.
The best reference so far, IMO.

"Ecology of the Planted Aquarium" Diana Walstad. 1999 Echinodorus Publishing.
ISBN 0-9673773-0-7
For a serious plant enthusiast. Whether you agree with the author's approach or not, you should read the book.

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
Thanks MP, I'm embarrassed that I did not include the Spotte - It is I think "the" advanced process ref, followed by the Moe. The Escobal is outstanding on application of process to the real world.

One small advantage to being old - you already have the out-of-print books. ;)

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
Never forget "Fishkeeping for DUMMIES" :)

If you can get your hands on the Idiots Guide.. get that one..but it is out of print. Dummies is easily available and extremely helpfull to the "common fishkeeper".

Last edited:

pinballqueen

Roleplayer
Aug 4, 2002
Sevierville, TN
www.hostultra.com
For those interested in N.A. Natives:

A Field Guide To Freshwater Fishes: North America North of Mexico; Brooks M. Burr, et. al. 1998, Houghton Mifflin Co.
ISBN: 0395910919

Nice book from the Petersen Field Guide Series (of which I am thoroughly familiar with the volumes dealing with N.A. Bird species...). Very concise information about habitat, size, habits, and diet, with very nice illustrations. Also has sections on each species and variety, including similar species (to make clear id's on two very similar fish, for example). Also states how commonly found, and where. A must if you're wanting to set up a biotope style aquarium, it has everything except specific water temperature and ph requirements (which is information that can be gathered at the same time the fish are provided you bring a thermometer and a specimen cup or a ph tester...)

valerie

AC Members
Apr 18, 2001
Edmonton, AB
My favorite right now is Ad Koning's Book of Cichlids and All the Other Fishes of Lake Malawi By Ad Konings

Great book but cost a pretty penny. I got mine for xmas and it was about 140$can.

Some of the profiles are still in german?(or dutch maybe?can't tell) and a few profiles i was looking for weren't in there. But it has loads on info.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store