Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I am what I am. Defender of truth!
    Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    03-14-2004 8:23 PM
    Last edited by JamisonBWolsh; 02-11-2003 at 8:05 PM.
    Its about THIS and its about THAT.

My tank specs

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    07-18-2011 7:10 PM
    Creating a Natural Aquarium by Peter Hiscock -

This book shows how to create a natural aquarium, it gives information on the different biotopes in which fish are found and the needs of different fishes, and gives step by step instructions on setting up each of the different biotope aquariums (12 in all) with plenty of photos along the way. Even gives instructions on creating a cascading stream and a cave environment for blind cave fish !! (tho not in the same tank lol ) A little gem of a book and well worth the money.

The Aquarist's Encyclopaedia by Gunther Sterba

This book may now be out of print but still has loads to offer. Plenty of information on parasites and processes, and of the actions of various chemicals found in medication and elsewhere, in addition to the information on fish and other water creatures.

For many years it was my fishkeeping bible.

oh and the Baensch series books 1-3 very informative and concise
    ~Bettas are not designer toys~

Charlie don't surf...
    Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    08-22-2007 3:29 AM
    Dr. Burgess' Atlas of Freshwater Aquarium Fishes
    If you jog in jogging pants, lounge in lounging pajamas and smoke in a smoking jacket, why on earth would anyone want to wear a windbreaker?

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    06-22-2009 7:49 PM
    My favoret and so far the BEST I have ever found is "Exotic Aquarium Fishes" (":the Innes Book") By Dr. William T. Innes (one of the hobby greats.) Its got everything. The version I have is very old so I don't know if they have a edition in print now, its well worth the search if not.
    He calls them 'exotic' aquarium fish because many of the fish we keep are not indeed 'Tropical' at all. Acuracy is good.

Another I am trying to get my hands on is "Spawning Problem Fishes" By Willie Jocher
    Its all about spawning the harder of the tetras, Neons and such. A great one for anyone like me who addors Neons and wishes to breed them.
    ~Kaylee~
    Silent Echo

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    10-10-2006 12:38 PM
    Baensch 1
    Baensch 2
    Baensch 3
    Baensch 4
    Baensch 5
    Baensch 6
    Baensch Photo Index 1-5
    Baensch Cichlid 1
    Baensch Catfish 1
    It's all I need. Simply the best.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    03-26-2009 1:47 PM
    Baensch 6?

And 4-5 are still in German...

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    06-13-2005 1:47 PM
    First as an overall more scientific than average book is

"Aquariology:master volume, the science of fish health management" published by tetrapress and cause i love catfish
    "An atlas of freshwater and marine catfish" published by TFH.
    .....that waiting, wanting to know turns seconds into hours, my life into a miserable century. The fishes are all awaiting, waiting for my glimpses, a recognition of their excitement for life. The rush of bubbles, the salty brine blood rushing inside, taking the planktonic surge of blood cells, nutrient and oxygen through the gutters and troughs of my vessels to the reef, so full of life that is my brain, the swell coming from my heart. My wishing soul staying only alive with the sudden pelagics that come every now and then making the swell rough. The adrenalic tide that rushes toward the heart and brain these few times keeps me waiting for more, knowing that they will come, knowing that I will die when they do, but die so much more when they don't.....

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    12-23-2012 10:17 AM
    Originally posted by Kaylee Skylyn
    My favoret and so far the BEST I have ever found is "Exotic Aquarium Fishes" (":the Innes Book") By Dr. William T. Innes
    What printing / year published do you have? The one from 1966 and some of the others are available for cheap.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Cichlid Atlas Vol 1 - if you like the Baensch Atlases, you'll love this title.

Cichlid Aquarium - Paul Loiselle - I would consider this the first purchase for anybody who wants to know about cichlids.

Anything with the name Ad Konings attached to it: ie Malawi Cichlids in their Natural Habitat, Tanganyikan Secrets, Tanganyikan Cichlids in their Natural Habitat.

The Aqualog series - as RTR pointed out, they are pricey, but how many people really have to have all of them (please, no finger pointing) Absolutely wonderful photographs.

Bristlenoses, Catfish with character - by Kathy Jinkings - a wonderful little book on those cute little bushynoses.

The four books by Horst Linke and Wolfgang Staeck - African Cichlids 1-Cichlids from West Africa, African Cichlids 2-Cichlids from East Africa, American Cichids 1-Dwarf Cichlids, American Cichlids 2-Large Cichlids.

The Cichlid Fishes-Nature's Grand Experiment in Evolution by George W. Barlow - Not a how to keep them book, but very entertaining and enlightening reading. You'll fully understand what a cichlid is when you are through.

South American Dwarf Cichlids - by Mayland and Bork - everything you ever wanted to to know about these small guys with big character.

Anybody familiar with the multi-volume set on Catfish by David Sands or the Seub (Seuss??) book on Corydoras.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    05-26-2008 4:42 PM
    is the baensch Cichlid Atlas Vol 1 you guya are talking about the dwarf cichlid atlas? Or is there some other baensch cichlid atlas that i haven't seen.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information