What do Dragonfish (eel-like) eat?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

carplady

AC Members
Aug 31, 2005
Hello, this is Carplady, and I would like to know what the dragonfish eat. They look like they could eat just about anything that they set their little hearts on. They have a large mouth and look like they could bite you if you were dumb enough to stick your finger in there in the first place. I know mines eating something 'cause it's gotten bigger since I've owned it. There's probably leftovers from the carp, that it shares it's living quarters with, and there are alot of living plants. Anyway...any help in this regard would be greatly appreciated, thank you. :)

Candycat21

Dec 17, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Hi There :)
You do realize that Dragonfish are brackish water fish. They can survive okay in freshwater, but generally are more prone to disease. They get big too, 2 feet and get pretty chunky. :D
You're they have tons of tiny sharp teeth that could inflict serious wounds too other fish...mostly bottom feeders if there's not enough space. They are practically blind as well, so they don't look for their food...rather they use smell to locate it and then gulp whatever is in front of them...they're known as filter feeders. They do best with sand or a very fine gravel substrate as when they eat, they take in whatever is there. If the gravel is too large, the Dragonfish could choke if he is unable to pass the gravel through his gills.
They eat any frozen foods and live foods, mostly bloodworms, brineshrimp, beefheart etc Some will eat the shrimp pellets. They will pick off any fish that fits in their mouth, if it's near death or dead. They're not hunters despite their looks, so you shouldn't have to worry about that.
Dragonfish are not for the aggressive tank...they are quite peaceful and docile and could get picked on by more boistrous fish as they just lay there most of the time.
Don't overcrowd the bottom of the tank with other fish, as the Dragon is territorial and can hurt other fish badly.
Good Luck and keep us updated!

Chill

Seasons Greetings
Jun 16, 2005
Newfoundland, Canada
You should see if you can identify the fish first to see what it is. Pet stores sell more than one type of fish as a dragon fish. If it's eel like it's probably a violet goby which is what Candycat21 has described above but I have seen Senegal (Cuvier's) Bichirs sold as dragonfish as well and they could also be described as eel like.

I suspect Candycat is right and you have a Violet Goby, doesn't hurt to make sure though. Some pictures of violet gobies in this link:

http://www.aqualandpetsplus.com/Oddball, Dragon Goby.htm

carplady

AC Members
Aug 31, 2005
The Violet Goby

undefinedHello, It has taken me a long time to get back to you wonderful people. And the main reason is because I'm fairly new to the computer, and was, can you honestly believe this, frightened to have so many places that I signed up for. Well I'm way past that and looked this over and found out I had asked this question a while back and only now found it.

You were absolutely right! It is a Violet Goby, which I bought from Walmart, not having anything to go by, I bought it as a "reefy" looking fish for my resin reef. Well that is a fantastic link that you gave us to look at, "chill" this very interesting fish, as well as others that led me to good links. He/she is in a brackish aquarium now and has lots of long hiding places. Thank you Candy, you were right on. I still have him/her and it looks pretty good though it goes into a kind of molt now and then. Yes, they need sinking food, but has even eaten off the algae discs, for the snails. I really like it, but I feel bad so many buy them with no understanding of what they need. I'm glad I asked you all, and hope that this question has helped many more besides me. Thank you, and I hope we can talk in the future, if you want to, as I didn't treat you very nice with not commenting soon enough, but it doesn't take away from your immediate answers and comments and links, they were wonderful comments and helpful for anyone. I hope that you will forgive...

DeeDee

Mudfrog

AC Members
Jan 17, 2005
Roanoke, VA
Violet Gobies are great, I have a whole tank focused around them. Go with the info listed above. I feed mine a staple diet of shrimp pellets and algae waefers. On occasion they also eat raw shrimp that has been cut into tiny pieces. They are an awesome fish to have as long as you know how to care for them. Good luck with yours and lets see some pics.

BTW.. click my "Dragon's Lair" link below to see mine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store