Sea Cucumbers??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cve

AC Members
Nov 24, 2000
Northern NJ
quick q

I had a hitchhiker on the LR I bought a long time ago, which was a Tiger Tail sea cuc (i think thats what it was called). I only noticed the thing in the LR on a monthly basis no big deal just one of the bennies of getting nice LR.

My question is, can these things be harmful to your tank if they die? I read somewhere about them containing toxins they give off when dead? I have the opportunity to keep him out of the tank right now and don't know if its worth putting it back in.

thanks

JohnMemorialHS

Speed Demon
Apr 15, 2001
Madison, WI, USA
yes they do release toxins when they're dead, but if you have a tank bigger than 5 or 10 gallon, they shouldn't kill the fish. At least I've never heard stories of dead cucumbers or dead sponge kill fish just because of their toxin, but hey maybe someone out there have a story.

JustPhish

AC Members
Dec 2, 2002
www.justphish.com
The more drab the cucumber the less potent it's toxins are. It also shouldn't go releasing it's toxins for no good reason so if something is stressing it enough that it's letting go, you've got bigger problems to worry about anyway.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store