angels swimming with fins close to their bodies

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

troy272

AC Members
Aug 21, 2005
my angels are swimming with their fins close to their bodies what does this mean? what do i need to do?

thanks in advance,
Troy

JinxXx0085

AC Members
Jun 12, 2005
Montana
It sounds like its called clamped fins, they are probably stressed. Did you just buy them?
Can u give us the specs of your tank (size, fish residents, water parameters, and how long it been running)
When I first got my angel fish they spent time hiding and my white one had clamped fins for while. I didn't use light for 2 day and gradually they came around and now they are all brave and would eat bloodworms out of my fingers.

troy272

AC Members
Aug 21, 2005
i did discover a 20g in the attic from who knows how many years ago so i set that up about three weeks ago and i cycled it and its cycled now and i moved the angels to that about a week and a half ago. its just two angels and a pleco. no other fish. i do also have a 10g but for plants.
i hvae been checking the water lately and everything is where it should be. the only concern is the water is at 100 hardness. it that bad?

Last edited:

jaylin

Don't ask if you don't want to know
Aug 14, 2005
Denver-ish Colorado.
I noticed you live in Phoenix. Phoenix water is bad. I used to live there. You would not believe the hard water deposites you'll have on your fish tank after a year of use with Phoenix water. It's scary.

That said, I never had a problem keeping the more hardy fish in Phoenix tap, but I didn't have a lot of luck with angels. They'd live, but they never really thrived.

troy272

AC Members
Aug 21, 2005
yeah ive found that if you use a mixture of purified and tap water then the hardness goes down. when i first started it was 300 but now its about 100 or 150 which doesnt seem so awful.

troy

troy272

AC Members
Aug 21, 2005
theres nothing else for it to get picked on by. just two angels and a lazy pleco that only comes out if its completely dark. the slightest trace of light and he doesnt come out. and hes peaceful he just cleans the floor and the glass.

JinxXx0085

AC Members
Jun 12, 2005
Montana
Maybe the angels are still adapting to the new environment in 20g. Thats great that you're aware of hardness down in Phoenix. I'm not sure what hardness level you should aim for, heck, I don't even know what hardness level I have here. I'm sure its quite high, I have hard water where I live.

troy272

AC Members
Aug 21, 2005
its a parasite because part of the gill is flipped out due to fin decay or somethign like that. so to be safe i got some dissolving "no more parasite" jungle buddies and that should work. ive had good luck with their products before.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store