angel fish with red stuff on it

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

troy272

AC Members
Aug 21, 2005
:confused: :sad: why does one of my angels have red stuff on it? is this bad? does this mean that he is going to die?

i hope not :help:

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
We need a picture! If you can't take a pic, can you post a really detailed description of the 'red stuff'? Also posting your tank specs and water parameters will help others to diagnose what's happening with your angel.

troy272

AC Members
Aug 21, 2005
alright

nitrite 0
nitrate 0
hardness 100 - 150
alkaline is 80
PH is 7.0

20 gallon tank setup for about 3 weeks

red stuff is slightly on body. a rosy red color. its also somewhat on the rear fin. very vague but getting worse.

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
Sounds like your tank is cycling - what's your ammonia reading? Ammonia is extremely toxic, likely the root cause of the angel's condition.
Has the angel's behaviour changed at all? Is s/he eating, swimming normally, breathing hard/fast?
What's the texture of the red area? Raised, smooth, raw looking? Does it have distinctive edges, is it the same on both sides of the fish? Get as descriptive as you possibly can.
Water changes never hurt. I'd start changing 50% daily - even if you don't know what's wrong, it will at least keep NH3 down and reduce stress on the fish.

troy272

AC Members
Aug 21, 2005
i have a thing in there to take the ammonia out. its some kind of bag. i have no reading of ammonia. the red stuff is smooth yet raw. what does this mean?

troy272

AC Members
Aug 21, 2005
Kasakato said:
It means you have stalled the cycle. Take out the bag, and do daily 50% water changes. The red stuff probably is some burn from the high ammonia or something like that.

how long do i keep doing water changes? and should i keep medicating?

troy272

AC Members
Aug 21, 2005
alright i will do that.

thank you all so much for the advice adn ill keep you guys updated on what happens.

Troy

Kasakato

SatCan
Sep 24, 2004
Toronto, Canada
You need to daily water changes to make your levels: 0.5 ammonia, 0.25 nitrite, ~20nitrates. You may or may not see ammonia and nitrites at the same time. Eventually they will turn into 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, ~20nitrates. When it gets to this you can stop the water changes because your tank is cycled.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store