catfish or pleco?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

StishFicks

AC Members
Aug 31, 2005
I've long dreamed of having a larger tank. Not because I want more fish, I want bigger fish. I'd like to set up something 55g or larger to show case one fish. I am partial to catfish because my family has always had a lake full of channel cats. However, I realize that a large catfish eats EVERYTHING and I'd like to make this tank a "community" tank in which the other fish do not disappear. I want the tank to focus attention on my largest fish but I want the other fish to survive long enough to contribute to the aesthetic experience of anyone viewing the tank. I know that plecos get large and possess some of the same qualities as cats, and that they come in a wide variety of beautiful colors and patterns and I'm considering buying a pleco instead of a cat. If anyone could suggest a community friendly cat(and/or a setup that works) or an interesting pleco, that would be awesome. No rush though, won't be setting the tank up until I purchase it and I can't do that without money.

zebrapleco

AC Members
Sep 1, 2005
StishFicks said:
I've long dreamed of having a larger tank. Not because I want more fish, I want bigger fish. I'd like to set up something 55g or larger to show case one fish. I am partial to catfish because my family has always had a lake full of channel cats. However, I realize that a large catfish eats EVERYTHING and I'd like to make this tank a "community" tank in which the other fish do not disappear. I want the tank to focus attention on my largest fish but I want the other fish to survive long enough to contribute to the aesthetic experience of anyone viewing the tank. I know that plecos get large and possess some of the same qualities as cats, and that they come in a wide variety of beautiful colors and patterns and I'm considering buying a pleco instead of a cat. If anyone could suggest a community friendly cat(and/or a setup that works) or an interesting pleco, that would be awesome. No rush though, won't be setting the tank up until I purchase it and I can't do that without money.[/QUOTE

A catfish you are going to have to go 3 digets on the gl or at least a show 75. I would recomend catching one 3-5 inches. If you go straight with a 12+ cat it will already be used to eating everything it can get its hands on. Common plecos well fed can go 16+

sumoschro

Gold Thunder
Aug 16, 2003
Portland, Oregon
I would reccomend going with anything BUT a common plec. IMO they aren't all that pretty and crap more than any animal I've ever seen. They're messy and aggressive once they reach a large size. There are Catfish in the Loricariidae family that are beautiful and neat eaters...But not common plecs.

StishFicks

AC Members
Aug 31, 2005
Thanks, I've always wanted a cat but it has never been a possibility for me so now that it's even remotely possible I'm trying to learn as much as I can.

jrd

AC Members
Sep 3, 2005
yoiu should get a pictus cat they only eat off the bottom and there not aggrsive

Lobo.

sheep in wolf's clothing
Feb 24, 2005
Nashville
I used to own a Pictus Cat, it was always eating my neons if I did not put enough food for it.... and it was not even full size yet... they are Cool and active but Prefer groups of 3 or more and grow 8in +

Last edited:

Halo

Puppies with Fins!
Sep 18, 2005
Royal panaque plecos are fairly showy. ONE to a tank though, and while they will max out around a foot or so, they are extremely slow growing. They require wood in their diet, but make a nice tank companion with any fish that does'nt look like they do. Common gibby plecos have more personality in my opinion, and are bolder when it comes to emerging in daylight. I've trained 2 of my three commons to eat from my hand, accept petting on the nose, head, and lips, and one of them likes to pull my hand into the tank with him mouth. (pebbly, but smoother than a cat's tounge). I have'nt noticed any more agression than a little push and bump when it's zuchini feeding time, but oh lord are they poo machines. If you get a common, make sure your tank is a 55gal double wide, as they need the floor space. Within 2 years, you're going to have a big, friendly, dopey looking fish who blinks at you mournfully when you don't treat him.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
hmm. that sounds familiar. . .

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store