Silversides

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

VoodooChild

Kissin' the Sky
Dec 17, 2001
MN
Visit site
Hey folks. I was finely cutting up some silversides tonight for my soon to be fire goby, bangaii cardinal, and shrimp, and was curious just what they themselves are. They appear to be some sort coldwater fish, in a saltwater cyprinidae category, but I was just curious if anyone knew anything about them? Just wondering. They look like they'd be under-rated schoolers, like giant danios, if in the pet trade.
That being said, I was also wondering if my shrimps (plans are for 2-3 bloods and 3-4 skunks) would enjoy a whole carcass more or if they would like the chopping up job I'm doing right now? I'm cutting them up enough so that a moderate sized bangaii could eat them without choking and cutting off the heads and tails, which I figured would be more difficult to digest. Thanks alot.

Last edited:

Alastair

Loser
Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
That's a pretty accurate assessment of silversides. They are a common schooling fish, especially in the atlantic. I think I read somewhere that they're related to anchovies. Most of the world's commercial silverside catch comes from around Nova Scotia. I don't think they'd do well as aquarium fish, not only because of the cooler water preferences, but because I've heard they don't ship too well. They seem to have a very high oxygen demand.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store