Saltwater Snail ID?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Pisces

Night Owl
Mar 4, 2002
Fayetteville, AR
Real Name
Lisa
We visited a LFS today and I saw this snail that was really interesting. I forgot to ask about it though. It was about 1 1/2 inches big, the shell appeared to be a light brownish color and it resembled the tulip style of shell. The snail's body was red, bright red. He was on the glass and the foot part looked very skinny. Any ideas what it might be called? I might have to go back and get him if he's reef safe.:)

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Can't be sure without a pic, but I've seen a snail that looks very much like that, but it's a coldwater critter. They die off within a month in warmer water. My LFS refused to sell them (it was a mistake in shipping), simply because they knew the snails wouldn't live. Sorry--I'll check if you get a pic, but I'd avoid it if you can't verify it's a warm water species.

Pisces

Night Owl
Mar 4, 2002
Fayetteville, AR
Real Name
Lisa
OrionGirl, yeah, maybe this snail was a surprise liverock hitchhiker for my LFS too. They had it in a smallish (less than 30g) Eclipse display tank with just a clownfish and a few rocks. I haven't been in that store for a long time so I really don't know how long they've had this red snail, and I had the baby along so it kinda slipped my mind to ask anyone about it. Maybe it'll still be there on my next trip and I'll ask them if they know exactly what the snail is. It was pretty...for a snail.;)

Pisces

Night Owl
Mar 4, 2002
Fayetteville, AR
Real Name
Lisa
I bought two of them...

The store is simply calling them Red-footed snails. We bought two of them on Sunday and so far they are doing very well in the 125g, eating up green algae like there's no tomorrow! They've been staying on the glass and cleaning the tubes and powerheads off. They don't appear to turn over as often as some other snails do. I've only seen one of these snails on his back one time shortly after we put them in and I flipped him right away. I think I'll have to get a few more of these.:)

Oh, I was in error in my first description of them (since I only saw it stuck to the glass) so I'll clarify on that.
Their shells are kind of a rusty reddish, brown color and they are turban-shaped like a turbo shell but the surface is smooth. The snail's body is very dark brown with a ring of bright orange-red around the top part of the foot. They are about the same size as a large turbo and the foot is solid, not split like a turbo. I guess the one I was looking at before was just stretched out or something to make it look skinny.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store