Clown Loach Help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lucky_ducky

AC Members
Mar 22, 2005
India
I've got a pair of clown loach, since last 3days, i have been observing that both of the loaches are sort of staying vertically for most of the time either facing up or facing down. But one of them, has got a bulged belly that appears as if it is going to burst soon. and its mouth is remaining opened widely than it is normally. so watsup with it? the other loach is eating food without problems. are there chances of parasites in water?

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
what is the size of your tank?
what other fish do you have in there?
how long have you had the loaches?
how big are they?
what are your water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate levels)?

Ripples

Mad fish lady
Feb 14, 2005
London UK
Ditto on the questions.
Plus - parasites are definitely a possibility. Clowns are caught wild - not bred in captivity - so there's no knowing what they might have when they come in. I had one with internal parasites that I didn't catch in time :(

R

lucky_ducky

AC Members
Mar 22, 2005
India
clowns r 2inches in length, otherfishes r 4 angels, 4 corris and 4 3striped pencils and a black ghost.

tank is just sufficient to hold these fishes. pH should b close to 7 and water temp. is near 80F.

i also have blue loach and queen loach ( or yo yo loach, watever is the common name) in another tank. i havent had any pblm with them ofcourse i have them from long time.

i bought clowns almost a week ago.

is there any general parasite killer i can use? or just water change will do ?

Hrafnkel

AC Members
Jul 21, 2005
"Just sufficient" is not an appropriate answer, when discussing fish of these sizes... We need number of gallons.

cohazard

AC Members
Apr 6, 2004
Visit site
Hrafnkel said:
"Just sufficient" is not an appropriate answer, when discussing fish of these sizes... We need number of gallons.

I agree. Dimensions would be even better however.

How long has this tank been setup? It sounds like ammonia/nitrite spike, and the clowns are struggling to breathe. That's pure conjecture without more information however.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store