fish have feelings!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ccclifford

AC Members
Sep 8, 2005
There are some people who keep beta fish in tanks the size of a baseball. I might be wrong but I think thats creul to them. (I'm kind of new at this) but I think thats cruel to them i know that they don't move around much. But they don't have much space to live in. PS you could at least use a fish bowl.

Last edited:

JinxXx0085

AC Members
Jun 12, 2005
Montana
my blue betta lives in 1 gallon tank and he always swim all over the little tank. He was in 29g but he kept getting his tail chewed off by some fish. IMO more than 1 gallon would be great for betta. 5gal is even better.

icka

AC Members
Jun 16, 2005
Indiana
oh you are so wrong, they do like having room. Are you nuts? please dont give any more advice...

my bettas enjoy space, mine are all in 2.5 gal and up (one in a 40gal and he is loving it)... it is like saying bettas can only be kept alone... no they can be kept with other fish as long as it is not another betta or another fish that are fin nippers. educate your self before giving advice. Bettas do like having hiding places and lots of them which is pretty true for MOST fish. Would you like to be cramped? nope. hell all of my bettas have filters and heaters... they are fish too and deserve clean water and warm water...

also, everything depends on the fish they are all different just like people... a large majority of male bettas are peaceful and go with the flow... you have ot know your fish....

Stefanie

AC Members
Jan 12, 2005
Maryland
I have to agree. I have one betta in a 20G community tank (no nippy fish), and one in a 10G tank, that he only shares with two bottom fish. They love it and play in the current, or just hang out in the plants. They are pretty active fish, when given the chance to actually swim.

Jericho

AC Members
Jul 22, 2005
The reason why betas do not move a lot in a bowl or a cup as you find in the stores is because they are warm water fish and the cool water they are kept in makes them lethargic. You need to read up on the beta or any fish you are going to own and give them a healthy environment.

fishinAZ

AC Members
Jun 7, 2004
Tucson
Visit site
My betta loves his big tank with lots of space to swim. Uses the whole tank to swim in too....

svtcontour

AC Members
Aug 6, 2004
Visit site
I had a Betta in a 38 gallon for a long time but one day he mysteriously vanished. I suspect some kind of illness and then the huge tennis ball sized applesnail must have gotten to the body....

Anyway he loved the space. It was a planted tank with a lot of nooks and crannies so ne would poke around a lot. He was quite the busy body. I think the minimum for a betta is a 1 gallon but a 5 gallon or 10 gallon would be an ideal home in my opinion.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store