Fish with missing eyes

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
Okay, yesterday I went to the LFS and bought 3 more Rasbora's and two big beautiful platys. I placed them in my 40 gallon and when I checked on them later...one poor new Rasbora was missing an eye!! OH POOR THING!!! I isolated him in a two gallon tank I have cycled and he died today. :( Tonight I am checking out my tank and notice that I have a dead half eaten neon in the tank...OH NO!!! One is missing too! I look and find it under the burping clam and it is missing an eye as well. All was well in the tank until the larger platy's came to live here. Question is- Do you all believe the Platy's are the culprit?? I have now placed them in the isolation tank and I am pretty sure they will be returned to the store.
Here is the current stock of the 40 gallon tank
4 neon tetra's (one now missing an eye)
5 Rasbora's
4 albino cory cats
2 leapord cory cats
5 rummy nosed tetras
1 female beta

I tested water tonight too. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, nitrates 5, ph 8.0 (I know it's high but don't know how to lower without chemicals :huh: )
Did I do right to remove the two Platys? They are both female and close to 2". Can they be aggressive?? I just feel sick about this :sad:
I suppose the aggresion could be from my female beta, but she has been in the tank with the neons and rasbora's since the beggining and I've never seen her be aggressive. She spends most of her time playing in the bubble wall with an albino cory...they are buddies.
Any and all help is greatly appreciated. The Platy's will be returned to the LFS and exchanged for some more neons. I guess I will simply keep this my tetra/cory tank. They all seem happy together.
Mykidsmylife

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
i've heard of peaceful fish being territorial sometimes when new fish are added, and if you had just added the neons i would blame the betta for defending "her" tank against the newcomers, but since the neons were already there, i do blame the platies.

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
Thank you. I went ahead last night and put the female betta in a one gallon bowl with a small heater. I will have to go set up her own tank today, I have an unused 5 and half gallon that needs some work. The poor neon with the missing eye is still hanging on. The Platy's will go back to the LFS tomorrow.
Thanks again,
mykidsmylife

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store