Bigger tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Holmes1135

Holmes
Sep 14, 2005
Erie, PA
Hey there...I'm new to this stuff (hence the newbie forum). My parents had a 55 gallon "L" shaped aquarium set up for years before I was born and they they had even more for the years they were married before they had kids. They took the tank down when I was about 6 and it has been sitting in our loft ever since (I'm 18). Anyway, for the past 5 months I have been trying to keep my 10 gallon tank and I have been doing rather well I think and I would like to upgrade. I have been going up in the loft for the past couple weeks digging through our junk and I now know that we don't have any equipment any more for the tank. The only things we have are the stones for the bottom (2 buckets of them that I have to clean) the tank itself (which needs a good scrub-down) and it's stand (which I have to get the rust off and re-paint).
I understand the task set before me and I am going to clean the tank and stand tonight before I go to church but I know I need to get a filter and a heater. The tank already has a hood and lights so I'm good there. Any suggestions for this stuff, I don't want to spend too much money seeing as how I am a broke college student, but I just want to get some input.

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
i would drag that tank out to the garage or some other water-safe place and fill it up to make sure that all the seams are still intact. after that long in the attic, esp. if it is unheated/uncooled they may have dried out and it could leak. check that before you invest in anything else.

Holmes1135

Holmes
Sep 14, 2005
Erie, PA
Wellyeah, that's what I was planning on doing tonight. I just want some suggestions on some cheaper but decent quality heaters and filters for it. I am pretty sure it will still be good. My loft can get a bit warm but it never gets too cold even though I live in Erie PA.

Thanks for the input tho

bob1962

AC Members
Sep 3, 2005
Woodstock NY
Holmes1135 said:
Wellyeah, that's what I was planning on doing tonight. I just want some suggestions on some cheaper but decent quality heaters and filters for it. I am pretty sure it will still be good. My loft can get a bit warm but it never gets too cold even though I live in Erie PA.

Thanks for the input tho
Does the tank have a metal frame with that black sealer? Those type of tanks from back in the day were known to leak, that sealer could have dried out. If it is a more modern tank with silicone, you should prolly be ok, but yeah I would still test out out first. If it does leak get some fish safe silicone and seal all the joints and it should be fine.

Heaters are pretty cheap no matter what you buy. Filtration I would not skimp on that, I had exellent results with a bio wheel.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
you have a loft? make sure that your floors can support the weight of your entire setup. the water alone will weigh 465 lbs or so, plus tank, gravel, stand, fish, decorations, etc. if you have one of those iron stands with tiny feet, you should place it on a larger piece of plywood or on 2x4 runners to distribute the weight.
are you renting? there may be some clauses in the lease about waterbeds or other very heavy furniture. if so, i would (anonymously) call and ask if a tank would be okay or how much the floor can support. i told my landlords i was putting in a huge oak bookcase (euphemism for 50 gal tank) and they said the floor could hold the weight safely.

as far as equipment, i can't help much. my filter is a homemade sump. just trying to think of other things you should keep in mind before you get too set on having it.

Holmes1135

Holmes
Sep 14, 2005
Erie, PA
I live with my parents right now...they had the tank in that same spot about 10 years ago so it will be fine like that...still wonderin about the filter stuff tho...I am prolly gonna go with a bio filter that will cycle all the water through at least 4 times an hour, and I will have an under-gravel filter. any thought on that stuff for a good price and quality...also a heater?

Thanks

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
an L-shaped 55 gallon sounds awesome! However, due to the time it spent empty, I would still run out and get some silicone to ensure those seems are good.. just in case. When I had my regular 55 gallon, I had an undergravel filter in the center, leaving about 3 or 4 inches on each outside free of the plate, 2 heaters, and 2 penguin filters. However, if I were to have that 55 up today, I would get 2 emporers instead. But only for personal preference. Bedng as you have a L-shaped tank, I would definitely follow the same set-up

Holmes1135

Holmes
Sep 14, 2005
Erie, PA
Dad informed me that my tank is only 40 gallons...but big nontheless!
Well I cleaned/filled up the tank and no leaks...swished water around, pushed on sides, etc...And no leaks
YAY!
Anyway, I also went to 2 of my pet stores and talked to som people that have been recommended to me by my buddy (he's got a 210 gallon tank...SWEET) and what I think I've decided is that I am going to get two outside tank 25-30 gallon filters and put one on each side b/c of the strange shape. I will prolly go with a 200 watt heater and put it at the point of the "L". Still lookin for a few tips on good filters tho, I don't want to spend too much but I also don't want to buy some cheap crap that will burn out in 3 months.

Thanks again!

Holmes1135

Holmes
Sep 14, 2005
Erie, PA
Also thinkin about eels for the tank. Which kind is cooler looking, hardiest, and easier to take care of :OT:

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store