red spots on angelfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

squeakywaffle

Registered Member
Sep 15, 2005
I have two silver angelfish. They have both started to develop these weird red spots along the top of their bodies between the eyes and the dorsal fin. Is this normal for silver angels?

I'm worried it might be some kind of parasite, but I couldn't find any disease with those symptoms, so I'm stumped.

Thanks!

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
What color type are your angels? are they marble, silver/wildtype...

Also how do these spots look, do they apear dull, reflective, depend on the lighting?

I do know that angelfish naturally have irredescence that could explain them developing color. but if these spots are dull, or form depressions then it could be a problem.

squeakywaffle

Registered Member
Sep 15, 2005
I'm no expert, but, like I said, I'm pretty sure these are silver angels I have. They may not be exactly pedigree... :rolleyes:

If it helps, they look roughly the same as the one in your icon.

The spots are dull, dark red- about .5 mm in diameter, and appear mostly along a line between the eye and the forward base of the dorsal fin on each side. They appear to be completely flat. My bigger angel has more of them, although my smaller one has begun to develop them also.

In this tank (30 gallons) I also have 4 cardinal tetras and 3 corys, and none of them have developed any similar spots.

Last edited:

mooman

Scratch my belly Human!
Mar 8, 2005
Columbus, OH
I've seen many angels develop orange or reddish coloration in that area as they mature. Usually ther are marble angels. Is your fish all silver, or just a marbled angel with very little black? Any other symptoms? Under what conditions are they kept?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store