Bulbs keep going out...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TipStylez

XCELMotorsports.com
Jun 3, 2005
Seattle WA
Is it me or walmart light bulbs are cheep as dirt..

Cause i just baught 2 new incendesent blubs and they just blew out this moring when i tryed to turn em on...

And how bright are the flouresent light bulbs that replaces the incendesents? I dont want too bight of a light, i like 10000K tho that would make my tank look nice.

Thanks
-Q

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
What kind of bulbs are you buying? I found that Walmart tended to have bulbs that sat on the shelf a long time, which can impact life.

The screw in CF that will work with incandescents are typically 13 W, fine for a 30 gallon. You can get a variety of spectrums, including 10K.

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
that would make me kind of nervous. If the bulbs keep blowing out, wouldn't you think maybe it's not the bulbs but maybe the hood itself? I had a hood that was faulty once and while eating dinner one night, I smelled something weird. This is when I had a terrarium... anyway, I went upstairs, following the smell and wouldn't you know it, the hood was smoking. It wasn't even turned on... so now you could say I'm a little overly sensitive to the shape of the hood and the parts. I think it's worth looking into though. Make sure the hood is not faulty.

TipStylez

XCELMotorsports.com
Jun 3, 2005
Seattle WA
naw i think its the bulbs, b4 i has some clear blubs from the hardware store, and it lasted for months, i just put these blue ones in cause i didnt want my tank looking too bright, and they died the next day...

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
I'm wondering if for some reason the hood is getting too hot and blowing them. If that's what's happening there is something wrong with the hood....

I'd be careful....I had an similar incident like Doll's just recently. I was using a used flourescent striplight that came with a tank we found at the local dump. Plugged the light in and turned it on..but the bulb was only giving off a little light, like it was burning out. I left it on anyway for a bit and was in the kitchen and smelled that same burning electric/plastic smell that makes alarm bells go off in your head. I have so many tanks in one area I had a heck of a time figuring out which one it was...ended up unplugging everything before a fire broke out.

You've got to be careful..especially with used equiptment. Check it out real good...plug it in and watch it for a day before you trust it being on when you aren't home.

TipStylez

XCELMotorsports.com
Jun 3, 2005
Seattle WA
yeah, my hood is only about 3months old, and i always turn off my hood at night, and i dont know why when i turned it on in the moring one bulb didnt go on the other went on and died in 1sec...now im using the hardware bulbs i used to use. **** WALMART BLUBS...so i guess its just the blub that what retared.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store