considering Discus

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lisa01

AC Members
Sep 7, 2005
I am considering losing my oscar and jack (LPS store said they would take them off my hands) for discus.

How many in a 55 gal?

Anything else I can put in there with them?

I am tired of my oscar being a mess

Thoughts anyone????

NatakuTseng

I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts
Jan 3, 2004
Vermont
cichliddomain.com
6 or so adult fish, bare bottom tank, just them. This is the easiest thing for you to do being your first time keeping discus. Read up about them, DO NOT buy from your LFS. Discus are one of those fish that if you do not get them from good sources, you will not end up with good healthy fish. Save up the money, buy some nice fish and pay for the shipping, it will be well worth it in the long run. Read the article in my signature. If ya have questions ask, let me know also where you live, there may be a good breeder/importer in your area I can refer you too.

ashdavid

In Search Of Better Water Quality
Mar 27, 2005
Japan
I myself personaly would not put dicus in there, that is b/c I think they are the most boring cichlid that I have owned personality wise. If you like JD's ect, maybe you should think about getting some of the new world cichlids, they have just as much colour and loads more personality. Cichlids like the smaller eartheaters would do well in a 55g and they are not messy. Anyway it is up to you what you want to get ,but ask yourself if you want a fish with outgoing personality or a quiet subdued personality.

NatakuTseng

Jan 3, 2004
Vermont
cichliddomain.com
I have to disagree with you there Ash, I've found the discus, once settled in and acustomed to you, can have quite a good deal of personality. Not quite Oscar personality but they still are pretty cool and intellegent fish. To each is his own though.

ashdavid

In Search Of Better Water Quality
Mar 27, 2005
Japan
Sorry Nataku, I wasn't meant to be putting discus down, I was just saying that they were not one of my most active or to put it in other words "outgoing" cichlids. I agree they are one of the smarter cichlids that I have owned and deffinately one of the prettier cichlids, but I just like fish that are a little more active than discus. Anyway I hope you didn't take it the wrong way and after rereading my post I could have worded it a little better.

svtcontour

AC Members
Aug 6, 2004
Visit site
I've never owned discus before but I have had JD before and I find them quite boring. They seem shy and retreat a lot and come out mostly at night. The cichlids that I have owned that I liked have been:

-Oscar (like a pet dog really...)
-Angelfish (seem very intelligent and interactive)
-Firemouth (some personality and not too shy I find)
-Convicts (if you can put up with stuff they do, they are lots of fun)

I will say this though, the JD is in my opinion one of the most beautiful fish out there. The firemouth when in breeding mode is also stunning. **** I want a firemouth again.

FishFreak101

AC Members
Jul 1, 2005
hey nak what wood happen if u put a ping pong ball in a discus tank???

NatakuTseng

Jan 3, 2004
Vermont
cichliddomain.com
It would float, go troll somewhere else.

NP Ash, just offering a different point of view, most of the discus I have had are actually quite active, comparable to an oscar at least. Just a matter of getting them used to you.

FishFreak101

AC Members
Jul 1, 2005
Everyone knows that!

NatakuTseng said:
It would float, go troll somewhere else.
well ya! but what wood the discus do????

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store