Angels in a 75 gallon tank???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
I guess my question is...how many angels should or could I keep in my 75 gallon tank? I don't want to worry about having to find them a new home if they outgrow it. I currently have my new 75 gallon fishlessly cycling and it is getting close to ready. My LFS has some reallly adorable baby angels (about an inch and a half now) that I am considering adding to it. I am also interested in the baby blood parrots they have as well. Could these live harmoniously together?? Should I stick with one over the other?? If I do just angels...what else could I add to the tank, bottom feeder???
As of right now I am uncertain exactly what to add to this tank. I have a 40 gallon and bought the 75 gallon because I really wanted angels.
Could some rams be added with the angels? My LFS said that the rams are really mean and wouldn't suggest them, but everything I have read said they are realitively docile.
I am so confused as to what to do and keep getting conflicting reports :duh:
So...IF i could safely keep angels in there as their forever home...what else could I add with them??
thanks all
mykidsmylife

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Parrots and angels do not mix. Parrots are much more mean.

I have 5 angels in my 100gal, but I also have about 70 tetras too (and 6 rams, 8 corys, and about 10 ottos).

Raithan Ellis

I'm only crabby due to lack of beer
Jan 24, 2002
Pennsylvania
www.flickr.com
If it were mine, I would do just the angelfish; dependant upon if you desire spawning habits, two pairs would do nicely with a slate at each end of the tank, or, if you just wish to do a community setup, then perhaps 6-8 angels leaving for plenty of room cleanup crew/dither fish. Perhaps some coryadoras and otocinclus, and a handful of tetras or livebearers would be to your liking.

I hope this gives you some ideas.

Cheers!
Raithan O. Ellis

ghinksmon

AC Members
Aug 30, 2005
Northern NJ
A display of healthy full finned angels is exceptional. I would use angels as the main inhabitants. To keep them at their best, especially veils and other long finned varieties, you must be careful to avoid "nippy" fish. Certainly no tiger barbs, black tetras (a.k.a. balck skirt tetras), danios, rainbow fish, some gouramies, etc. Also driftwood and tall sparse plants (plastic ok) allows some shelter from the more dominant angels. Do you still have the 40 set up? You may need it to house anyone that becomes a nuisance. I currently have a pair of angels in a 30 gal planted w/java fern, a pair of kribs, a lace cat [Syndontis euripteris (sp?)], and a young tire track eel. This covers each of the major continents but they all get along well in moderately soft, acidic water. Oh, watch your water quality, angels can be sensitive but others will also tell of angels surviving poor conditions, maybe breeder conditions contribute. A meaty, varied diet will put size on those young angels quickly.

Enjoy.

Mar 10, 2005
Columbus, OH
I am in the process of transfering the theme of y 75g to angels/rams. I currently have two angels one of which is a black veil and the other is a koi and 3 blue rams (2 german, 1 asian) I think they compliment each other well. For a bottom feeder I have two clown loaches and a L190 and L128. Also for the majestic effect I have a black ghost knife which upon him getting bigger will be relocated to either a 125 or a 180 depending on how much $ I have at the time.

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
Thank you all so much. Yes, I think angels as the main tank inhabitants with some other non-nippy fish will be how I go.
I do have the 40 gallon still running, but it is fully stocked with smaller fish-10 neons, 5 rasbora's, 6 cory's, 4 rummy nosed, and a farlowella. That tank is also on a salt treatment/higher temps right now for ich. Poor fishy. I really love the smaller fish, so getting a bigger tank was the plan for bigger fish. what an addiction.
The 75 has a huge beautiful piece of driftwood in it now, and I have two female creamsicle platy's in a 5 gallon that will go in the 75. Yes, I think a community tank would fit me best. The LFS is also holding a gorgeous gold nugget pl*co for me for that tank. I paid for it as soon as it came in. I'm so anxious to bring it home...just beautiful (well...as beautiful as I think a pl*co can be). There is a solid white angel I am looking at, and one that has a bright yellow spot on top it's head with black on it (I think a koi angel?) I will not go with the parrot fish...thank you for the info.
mykidsmylife

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store