Can ich medication kill bacteria?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Xielos

how I mine for fish?
Sep 13, 2005
I've been using Ich medication in my 20 gallon tank for the past week, and I just tested the amonia levels, they are at .5-1 ppm. Now the tank has been running for going on 2 months now (after being taken apart for a week), so theres no reason for it to not be cycled, especially with only one fish. I feed flakes twice a day, so I don't think its overfeeding. The only thing I can think of would be the medication, and I don't even think its working. Plus it turned my sealant blue :mad: Could this be causing the amonia spike? I don't have nitrite/trate tests (really need top get those...), and I did 2 water changes today, and its still showing as .5-1 ppm. Help? :huh:

Larissa

Katherine Hope
Jun 9, 2005
brenham, tx
My understanding is that yes, some meds can kill your bacteria. I'm not sure which ones do. Have you tested your water straight from the tap for ammonia? Sometimes, your tapwater will have ammonia in it and you have to remove it with Amquel, Prime or another similar product. If that's not the case, then do water changes and try to keep the ammonia at zero. That's all I got so hopefully someone more knowledgable can help you.

Jason1976

AC Members
Sep 20, 2005
Camp Hill Pa
you can add amonia chips to the tank. witch will bring it back down. and after it goes for a few months you should be able to take them out after that. some amonia chips you have to charge with salt water

phanmc

AC Members
Jun 24, 2004
Visit site
medications containing copper sulfate, potassium permanganate, formalin, or malachite green will kill the beneficial bacteria.

Xielos

how I mine for fish?
Sep 13, 2005
Active Ingredients: Formalin, Malachite Green

FREAKIN' A

I threw out an amonia remover chip thing the other day I accidentaly bought too! AAAAARGH!

Thanks for the help everyone >.<

Larissa

Katherine Hope
Jun 9, 2005
brenham, tx
Xielos said:
Active Ingredients: Formalin, Malachite Green

FREAKIN' A

I threw out an amonia remover chip thing the other day I accidentaly bought too! AAAAARGH!

Thanks for the help everyone >.<
Ouch! I'm sorry.

Holly9937

AC Members
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
I guess its kind of late, but I would try the salt/heat treatment now and in the future :eek: Also, just keep up on the water changes, it will help out that last fish

Xielos

how I mine for fish?
Sep 13, 2005
Well, my angel dosen't actualy have ich, it has something else (Hole in the Head I think), and another website recomended QuICK Cure for it, so I had been using that. Any recomendations now that Quick Cure is out of the question? :help:

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
A couple of things.
#1. It's rare to hear of malechite and formalin killing off a bio-filter. It can happen, but it isn't common at all. Generally ich meds do not effect the cycle.
Are you sure you didn't overdose, or is something else amiss? are you sure your test kit is accurate with those two agents in the mix? And Most importantly is your angel showing signs of ammonia burn, or nitrite poisoning? it should be at the ammonia level you report.

#2. Please make sure you have an accurate diagnosis before treating with something else. It is very easy to medicate a fish to death, and that sot of defeats the purpose in the most expensive way. HITH (hole in the head) is not highly common in angels. It could be HITH, but I'd make sure before acting.

#3. there is no cure in a box for HITH. Extremely good water quality, exceptional nutrition, and vitamins will help get it under control and keep it under control. Contrary to what you will read on product labes, it is not caused by Hexamita, and connot be cured with parasite meds.
dave

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store