Aqua-Tech Filters

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

beachbum21984

AC Members
Sep 21, 2005
Has anyone heard of this brand of filter? They sell them at Wal-Mart I wa sjust wondering if they would be good to use on a 20 Gallon Brackish Tank?

Jason1976

AC Members
Sep 20, 2005
Camp Hill Pa
i have a few of those filters and have good luck with them. two of my tanks i bought at wal-mart. and one i got for free with a wisper power filter model 2 witch is the same as the new wisper power filter 40. and the other tank i got at an auction for 18 dollors

Larissa

Katherine Hope
Jun 9, 2005
brenham, tx
I use aquatech filters on my 55g FW tank and they work okay. I wouldn't recommend them, however. I really know nothing about BW tanks but I think that if I purchase anymore HOB filters I'm going to get aquaclears.

blitzen25bm

AC Members
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
they are made by marineland, basically the penguins without the biowheels, you can even get biowheel retrofit kits for them. for some reasons my aquatech are running longer than my emperor filters could. not terrible filters, they lack surface area for bio colonization but i just fill them up with bioballs. i like them but they are about the same price as aquaclears when purchased from bigals. oh yea if i were you i would get the 30-60 model.

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
I have a few AquaTec HOB filters that I have packed with AquaClear foams. They make great cheap mechanical filters. They seem to be quite durable and reliable, which makes sense as they are manufactured by Marineland.

Jim

Larissa

Katherine Hope
Jun 9, 2005
brenham, tx
JSchmidt said:
I have a few AquaTec HOB filters that I have packed with AquaClear foams.
Jim
That's basically what I plan to do with mine, when I get the chance. Mine are really old and still run well, I just don't like the replacable floss/carbon cartridges so I've been planning to get some of the cut-to-fit filter foam and use that instead. I really hope it works. Also, I think it is possible to fit a small bag of media in there somewhere hopefully.

Jason1976

AC Members
Sep 20, 2005
Camp Hill Pa
i have some probloms with mine that the cartages get plugged up right away. i take them out and run them under hot water to try and get the slim off of them. sometimes it works and other times it doesnt. lately i have just been putting a new one in but in less then a week they get plugged again. so i started to keep the old ones and let them dry out and then i rub off as much of the dry stuff as i can then i clean them in hot water and it seams to work better. i dont know why they get covered in slime right away. I am guessing its a good slime because i havent had any probloms with fish dying. and i test the ph and the ammonia and they both are at good leaves. is there anything eles i should test. or maybe its just time for a water change.... oh god i just thought about it i moved in here 6 months ago and they havent had a water change yet. the water is nice and clear .

beachbum21984

AC Members
Sep 21, 2005
thanks for your help I think I will stick with Aqua Safe then for my filter I have used Penguin Bio-Wheel filters before and I couldent stand them the flow was so bad and the wheel woudlent even spin and there was no signs of build up on the filter ggrr! I have also used internal filters before which I found not to be as good as HOB filters.

mooman

Scratch my belly Human!
Mar 8, 2005
Columbus, OH
oh god i just thought about it i moved in here 6 months ago and they havent had a water change yet. the water is nice and clear .
if your serious, then you are asking for trouble. Think ich outbreaks, fish stunted from swimming around in thier own growth hormones, nitrate poisoning, and head/lateral line erosion. Sound like fun? You should be doing water changes AT LEAST once a month. Since your fish have become accustomed to the filth you are keeping them in, make sure you start off with small (10%) weekly water changes for the next month, gradually increasing the amount until you get to the reccomended 30-40%. If you do a large one you can actually improve the water quality too fast for your sewer acclimated fish and experience a big die off. If you were just kidding (hope so) then I appologize for coming down hard on you. If your not kidding, then don't even let me catch you posting the thread: MY FISH HAVE HOLE IN THE HEAD!! NEED HELP RIGHT AWAY!!

If you really had no idea that water changes were so important, then disregard the scorn dripping from the above post, and consider yourself schooled. Good luck, and welcome to AC.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store