Angelfish chasing

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JinxXx0085

AC Members
Jun 12, 2005
Montana
Hello everybody, I have 2 angel fish that I'm wondering about.
One is black and is larger, another one is white one a tad smaller than black one. They are in 29g with 6 rasbosa, 2 cory, 2 kuhli and 1 oto.
Today I returned home from grocery store and only to see my black angelfish' fin have 4 splits in it. Then I witnessed the white angel fish giving my black one a heck of chase.
Is this bad? I don't want the black one to die. I just add melafix to the tank. This is the first time I've seen the white one chased the black one. I've seen the black one chase white one but not this serious that goes zooming around the tank!
Some help would be appreciated, thanks guys. :thm:

JinxXx0085

AC Members
Jun 12, 2005
Montana
Thats true about cichilids always squabbling. I've never seen it that "serious" that it was enough to give my black angel some splits in it fins and enough to make the black one to hide in the terra cotta pot. I had those for since around July.

Shelzbells

AC Members
Apr 1, 2005
Iowa
Perfectly normal for angels, they are very territorial. Mine do it all the time too, but they never seriously hurt each other. ;)

JinxXx0085

AC Members
Jun 12, 2005
Montana
and that would lead to tattered fins? The black fish doesn't look too pretty with its fins tattered like that. I noticed that there was some holes on the top fin part. :shark: poor fish.

ashlyjames

AC Members
Jul 22, 2005
Toronto
Yes my angels do this as Well.
Depending on the severity of the damage, the fins will heal up on their own as long as the water quality is maintained. Ensure there is enough hiding places (for angel fish typically long reed like plants) so the chasee is not constantly chased.................. Anyone know if the melafix will mess up the biological filteration? :confused:

ofarevolution31

da nite jus brings us back together
Apr 11, 2005
portland, oregon
yeah my angles chased each other.. but then one died.. i dont know if it was bcuz if them fighting, other fish, stress or jus a injury or something.. but the angles fins were always a lil ripped or hurt.. but i dont know.. jus watch them and make sure they r alright..:)

JinxXx0085

AC Members
Jun 12, 2005
Montana
I've already add melafix as soon I notced the tattered fins yesterday and now its starting to heal already! Theres some small splits and holes but not as ugly as it was yesterday. Woohoo! :clap: The angels are doing their normal business like as if nothing happened yesterday. Sheesh, crazy fish! All I know is that I love how they swim up right to my face when I'm looking at the tank.
Well, thanks guys for your help! I'll be sure to keep watching the angels. I wouldn't want one of my angel to die just because of their squabbles lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store