what kind of filter for a 75 gallon

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dpmac10

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
Nebraska
Visit site
hi i just got a 75 gallon tank with a 400 empoir felter with it and i was wondering if that would be enough or should i take the conitster filter of my 55 and put it on the 75 the canister filter is a magnum fitler that is really nice. what do u guys think thanks.

Anton Wernher

AC Members
Feb 24, 2002
NC
Sorry to respond with another question but what is the tank going to be stocked with? I am guessing that the emp 400 is 400 gph. If this is correct and the tank is lightly stocked you should ok.. actually you might have a problem with a lack of water circulation, in which case the addition of another hob power filter (i personally swear by the aquaclear brand) or a simple power head would do(be sure to add a sponge to the intake as it will come in handy).

FISHGUY_CA

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
Wiinipeg, MB Canada
Visit site
Filters are fun

Originally posted by dpmac10
hi i just got a 75 gallon tank with a 400 empoir felter with it and i was wondering if that would be enough or should i take the conitster filter of my 55 and put it on the 75 the canister filter is a magnum fitler that is really nice. what do u guys think thanks.
In response to your question,
I have always used Aquaclear filters and had no problems with them at all. Anoher thing you can try is an Undergravel filter with say a 402 Powerhead attached to it. I find this works VERY well and gives much more aeration for the fish as well and keeps the debris to a minimum also. I'm not that apt on wet dry filters however I've heard Wolf are good if you can afford them, and also Cannisters are ok but kinda tricky for the beginner. If I were you, I'd go with an Aquaclear 500 because you can adjust the water being filtered so if you find the current too strong for your little guys, just turn it down a notch and they should do fine. Powerheads are fantastic whoever made them is a genious but some aren't cheap. I would get the Aquaclear 402 Model because anything larger than that and your tank will be swirling like a tornado but than again you can adjust the water intake with a little dial on the bottom of the filter so that doesn't happen however the filter gets clogged easier if you "tone it down" so to speak I've found. Undergravel filters work VERY well but you may wanna use a little bit of sand so that too much debris isn't being pulled through the gravel as this may kill your plants. Just glad I can be of any help and happy fishkeeping to ya :D:D Take it easy and best of luck, talk to ya later ......
Best Wishes,
FISHGUY_CA

ewok

Senile Member
Jun 11, 2002
new haven ct.
400's nice but i personally would add to it, i am a big fan of over-filtration and another big HOB or canister would be good. i use a 400 on my 29g and sometimes wish it had more.

edit: if you mess with any ugf, you might want to try rfug... i think rtr or someone wrote an article on it.......

ugf also depends on the inhabitants as some cichlids are just messy diggers and this will screw things up with a plate.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store