clownfish help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

you made me ink

SAVED YOUR LIFE!
Sep 25, 2005
Houston, Texas
hello ive been keeping freshwater fish for well over 2 years now with GREAT success and i am looking to get into the saltwater side of fish keeping and i was wanting to keep just two percula clownfish and i was wondering what was the smallest tank possible that i would be able to keep them healthy in? also can you tell me what other equipment i would need? (im looking for it to be fish only for now as i am on a 16 year olds budget) any information will be greatly appreciated very much, THANK YOU!! =)

Last edited:

thekid55

just a kid who reads alot
Sep 3, 2005
atlanta, GA
keeping two clowns shouldnt be that hard but if you have a small tank its going to be alot harder than it should be. clowns would be fine in a 30 gal. but keeping a tank like that stable is going to be a run for your money literally. i know its hard to get the money for big tanks but they will treat you better. i was 13 when i started my first fresh water and im now 15 starting my first saltwater. the hobby traps you in. good luck on the clowns mine died in a week but i am going to try it again soon

you made me ink

SAVED YOUR LIFE!
Sep 25, 2005
Houston, Texas
thanks for the info. im working on setting up a 60 gallon FW tank for two convicts stuck in a 10 gallon so i think ill wait untill im done with that project ... can you tell me what equipment i will need for a 30 or 40 gallon SW tank (I am esp. confused with lighting so if neone could provide me with some detail it would be greatly appreciated)

thekid55

Sep 3, 2005
atlanta, GA
for any wear from a 30 to 50 gal you need( a sump, heater, 2 powerheads, coral substrate, live rock,protien skimmer, glass cleaner, two nets one big one small, test kit, hydrometer, and lighting all depends on wat u want in your tank a coral life would be the best.) if i left anything off please correct me. make sure you do alot of reading. :read:

FreddytheFish

Nano-Reefer
Aug 29, 2005
Cincinnati, OH
for lighting, if you just want to keep fish, you don't need very high powered lighting. if you want coral, anenomes, etc. you need high powered lighting

is a sump really necessary?

thekid55

Sep 3, 2005
atlanta, GA
no a sump isnt nessary but it really cuts down on the things shown on the tank but a big power filter would work two

you made me ink

SAVED YOUR LIFE!
Sep 25, 2005
Houston, Texas
thanks for the info ... as far as lighting i would like to have corals mabey not anenomes though cuz from what i understand are very hard to take care of, i have no idea about the different lights other than flouresent and incandesent so if you can update me that would be nice thank you guys for all the help so far! :shark:

you made me ink

SAVED YOUR LIFE!
Sep 25, 2005
Houston, Texas
i checked out the site and it helped thanks and my LFS is very knowlegable and prefer to help you in the right direction rather than just make the sale but i have one more question would it be better to have a longer deeper tank or a taller one (again im not looking to keep tons on fish just a couple clown fish and some live rock with coral) thank yall so much yall have been real helpful :dive2:

thekid55

Sep 3, 2005
atlanta, GA
a tank with alot of suface area will give you more room to aquascape with the rocks. but other than that i dont think it matters

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store