New Outdoor pond

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sonic5986

Registered Member
Sep 26, 2005
Texas
Hi! :hi: I'm new here. I am about to buy a new house and I want to put an outdoor pond in the back yard. Can you give me any ideas. I going to put a waterfall in and then add some plants and goldfish. My only problem is that I have a lab and she loves the water. How could I set up the pond so that she wouldn't hurt the fish or the pond.

Thanks,
Lacy :shark:

Mary Jo

Registered Member
Sep 26, 2005
Lab-proof pond

Hi Lacy,
I have a pond in my back yard. It is rather large, but I made it myself with some help from a couple of strong men. It would be proof against a dog and even if I had a dog that jumped into mine, he wouldn't hurt the fish (maybe a plant or two....).

I is not a prefab pond, nor one with a liner. It is a concrete pond, with vertical sides to eliminate the entry of sea-birds, like herons and egrets who love to wade into ponds to eat up all your fish! It was hard work to make, since it contains formed rebar and a 7' waterfall made up of formed chicken wire/screen mesh/wire lath/ etc. held together with tie-wire and tied to rebar poles sunken into the ground.

I had mortar mix blown onto the waterfall, and concrete blown into the main pond and plant shelf area. I then waterproofed the entire thing with a gray tinted sealer (the color of concrete). I installed an underwater pump up to two biological underwater filters, that runs the water to the top of the waterfall. It's been running beautifully for 8 years now.

Hope this gives you an idea.
Also - pick up some pond books from your local Home depot. That's where I started....

Mary Jo

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store