IN THIS CORNER: dwarf puffers; IN THIS CORNER: amano shrimp. Who will win?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jessijessi

AC Members
Jul 10, 2005
dwarf puffers vs. amano shrimp. Who will win?

Sorry that i keep posting, but I recently went to my lfs to pick up some little snails. It's great that puffers happen to like snails because most places don't feel the same way that puffers do, so I get them for free. Because the snails were all I was intending to pick up and they were free, I felt guilted into getting a shrimp. I figure, if I get a shrimp and it becomes puff bait, well, at least my little monsters get a good snack. The shrimp, which turned out to be an Amano shrimp, which was great because in my mind he was already cleaning up excess food the puffers left behind, was a bigger shrimp than I had in mind at about two inches long.

Everything was fine for half a week, everyone walked or swam around the tank like normal, the otos seemed a little intimidated, but nobody really bothered anyone else. I left town for the weekend (half of saturday to sunday night), came back, and I haven't seen the shrimp for two going on three days (I check day and night). He might be hiding under the driftwood, or somewhere in the plant roots, but i tapped the driftwood with my net and usually he comes flying out, but lately, nothing.

Could my three 3/4" puffers have taken down my 2" shrimp and not leave any debris in the water? I mean there are no taletell shell parts or legs or a stray anntenae caught on the filter. I fed them til their bellies were bursting with bloodworms Saturday morning before I left so they wouldn't get too nippy. I usually feed them every 2-3 days.

Help me solve this mystery!

Last edited:

attiladahun

AC Members
Mar 11, 2005
dwarf puffers are known to nip at fins, but i wouldn't think they'd be able to or want to hit something as big as an amano. amanos are also known to be very fast, probably able to evade your puffers. it is possible that the shrimp just crawled under a rock or something and died of natural causes. it may also be that inverts are very sensitive to water quality.

jessijessi

AC Members
Jul 10, 2005
I was worried about that, too. So yesterday evening i did a water test and my pH was 7.2, temp 75, NO2 - 0, NH3 and NH4 - 0, so I think that should be ok.

But, it's highly unlikely that my puffers could eat something that big?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store