AFT shedding...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jayhay

AC Members
Aug 27, 2005
How long can it take for a AFT to shed?? In the past, it has only ever taken my little guy a few hours, a day at most to shed, but this time he has had loose skin for like 2 days...I am worried that is may be fungis or some other illness..... :help:

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
This may be an incredibly dumb question, but what is an AFT?

Do you mean an ADF (African Dwarf Frog)?

jayhay

AC Members
Aug 27, 2005
lmao, yes, sorry, I meant ADF (African dwarf Frog).. (I also have an AFT-African Fat-Tailed gecko, lol, and I am used to using AFT in gecko forums, sooo sorry, my stupid mistake) too many short forms, lol

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
Visit site
Two full days of shedding does seem awfully long. I don't think mine have taken that long before. Does it look usual, otherwise? Can you see the skin lifting or does it just look cloudy/milky? Are his eyes cloudy?

jayhay

AC Members
Aug 27, 2005
I dunno, he is hiding right now, I am gonna feed him to get him to come out, and then I will let you know, thanks for replying so soon, you always seem to have the facts when it comes to ADFs!!

jayhay

AC Members
Aug 27, 2005
His eyes are clear....he is eating well. The skin is all on his back, and a little spot on his leg near the joint. I don't know what you mean by lifting. It is wispy, and it floating back an forth on his body when he swims...also, I didn't mention, yesterday, for the first time ever, he was floating at the top of the tank in the bubbles where the water flows in. He had never done this b4....

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
Visit site
Hmm...well if you can see the skin lifting off, it does indeed sound like normal shedding. The fungus people often mistake for shedding is obviously still attached to the skin and the frog, and can't "lift" off the way skin can.

Mine do weird things like that to, regarding the bubbles. I occassionally see mine floating...they don't do this a whole lot...so it always seems odd when they do. So far, no worse for the wear.

Keep an eye on him and update us later tonight or tomorrow if something (or nothing) changes.

jayhay

AC Members
Aug 27, 2005
thanks! He is a lovely little guy, and I enjoy him alot, I appreciate your help and I will keep you posted.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store