Goldfish-foldedback gill flap

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RUSH2112

AC Members
Sep 29, 2005
Forum newbie here. This is my first post on any forum. This forum is packed with so much info. there has not been a need to join. The seasoned experts in this forum have seen just about everything. If it has happened someone here has talk about it. Thanks for sharing the info. to us less seasoned rookies. Now, on to my problem which was talked about here in 2004. One of my goldfish has one gill flap that appears to be folded back. None of the other fish exhibit this. Wife says she has noticed this fish rubbing the gill on the rocks. I have watched and this rubbing is not constant I would say it is very rare that it happens. When it does it looks almost accidental. The affected fish is not staying at the surface or gasping. I treated for gill flukes 2 days ago and no improvement so far. I know it is early I'm just impatient. Now for the questions:

1. Obvious one... Does anyone know what it could be?
2. Should I do a salt treatment?
3. How do you do a salt treatment
4. Completly off thread... Can I get a yes or no vote on u.v. sterilizers for freshwater aquariums

Thanks for any suggestions

Koilady

AC Members
Jan 15, 2005
Goldfish Flap

Hi Rush. How long has the flap been there?

This could be a birth defect or could be due to the type of food which is fed to your fish. It could be that if there is a lack of spirulina or any other product which is high in Vitamin C, this gill problem can happen. It is also possible that the gill flap was broken during a flashing incident as you describe with the fish rubbing up against something.

Yours Koily, Lorraine :dive2:

RUSH2112

AC Members
Sep 29, 2005
This abnormality has not always been there. So, I do not think it is a birth defect. But, he seems to be getting along just fine ( have not seen other fish laughing at him ha ha ). This gill is mainly bugging my wife but, I did not want to ignore it. I noticed this gill about 2 months ago. I feed flake food and every now and then various frozen food for treats (blood worms, plankton, mosquitoe larvae, etc. ) Should I float a piece of orange in my tank for several days for good measure?

Thanks RUSH2112

FreddytheFish

Nano-Reefer
Aug 29, 2005
Cincinnati, OH
sorry, i have no clue about what's wrong with your goldfish, but i can answer some of your questions

2. i don't think it could hurt, but again, i know nothing about goldfish and could be wrong, so you might want to get a 2nd opinion

3. it should say on the box of salt, but all you do is take the salt (i think it might be 4 teaspoons, it sez on the box) pour it in and stir. the salt will eventually be gone from water changes

4. in most cases, i don't think they are necessary

RUSH2112

AC Members
Sep 29, 2005
My tank contains

3 Goldfish
8 neon tetras
2 rosey barbs
2 guppies
2 pot bellied mollies
1 dwarf african frog
1 Plectostomus

These are in a 75 gal. tank. I realize this is a mixed cold and tropical tank but, local fish store (not chain,private owned and been in business forever) said set temp. on 79F and everybody will be happy. Everyone seems to be getting along just fine. For filtration there is a Fluval 404 which is totally biological except the first basket has filter floss to protect the ceramic media. I also use a Marineland Mag 350 deluxe (no biowheel) using the charcoal canister completely filled will activated carbon made from bituminous coal. I also have 2 rena 400 airpumps and lets just say alot bubble activity.

Oh yea, Koilady suggested a vit. c deficiency so, I put several slices of oranges in last night and goldfish were picking at them. Woke up this morning and the slices are completely gone (mag 350 turned off, Fluval 404 cut way back to give fish a break from the current) so, I think the oranges were actually eaten.

Thanks RUSH2112

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store