Another Cycling Question (Fishless)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

larry2210

Registered Member
Sep 27, 2005
Dear all,

I am a newbie, and had a question on fishless cycling. Please excuse me if this is a silly question. From what I have read this seems to be the best way of cycling a new tank. I just purchased a new 10g kit for my kids, with penguin 100 bio wheel (which is rattling at this point, but thats another issue), heater, air pump, the works.

I filled and treated the water last night, and will likely begin the cycling tomorrow. My question is, that toward the end of the cycling process, I need to do a 90% water change. If I do a 90% water change after everything is all balanced, wouldn't the new water then again need to be balanced?

Thank you in advance.

Larry

reignman40

AC Members
Jun 15, 2005
Spokane, WA, USA
No because the water isn't where the ammonia, etc is coming from. Removing the water will not remove any of the bacteria you need to eat ammonia and nitrites. With fishless when the cycle is complete you can stock fully. There is no need to stalk just a few fish a week.

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
The bacteria responsible for the oxidation of ammonia and nitrite to nitrate are obligate attached bacteria. They cannot grow or metabolize free-floating in the water column. They will live in the place where they get the best conditions of oxygen and energy source supply (ammonia or nitrite). In your tank that will be on the biowheel.

mishi8

Go fly a kite!
Jan 13, 2005
Alberta
What do you mean by balanced? When you do your final water change, you simply need to make sure that you use a water conditioner to remove clorine/chloramine. Test your water after the change to ensure the nitrates are at a safe level for fish, if they're still too high, then do another water change. In addition, after the water change, I like to challenge the biofilter (add another dose of ammonia) one last time just to make sure that it's completely ready to add all my fish.

It will be a long while before you'll be doing that last water change. In fact, you may find yourself needing to do a water change part way through if your nitrite and nitrate readings rise out of testing range. Make sure you keep tabs on your levels by testing daily. HTH! :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store