Neglected goldfish pond

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

shw104

AC Members
Mar 19, 2005
I moved into a house near Baltimore, MD. There was an existing goldfish pond. I have no experience with this type of pond do have an experience with freshwater aquariums.

From what I can tell from the last owner, nothing has been done to the pond this year except feeding the fish. All of the fish have survived in the pond at least two years but it has been heavily neglected.

Info on the pond:

approx. 4' round
7 gold fish (3-5") each
Heavily shaded
No chemicals have been introduced to the system (ever)
It has been filed with hose water
No heater

The filter consists of a large, green rubber made container filled with blue balls about 6" deep. The submersible pump pulls water from the pond from a 6x6 rectangle grading. When I removed the cover on the filter, it was filled with bugs and mosquitoes. The water in the pond is somewhat cloudy with a brown tint. Today, I removed a good 6" of leaves from the bottom of the pond.

Questions:

1. The bugs in the filter worry me. Should I introduce some chemicals to the system to kill off the bugs and hopefully clear the water? I'm worried that all of the decomposing leaves are going to cause a problem.

2. Does anyone have any knowledge of this type of filter? Should I be looking for a better replacement?

3. There is no heater in the pond. Should I provide one for the winter? If not, what happens when the pond freezes over?

4. There are no plants in the pond. Is it too late in the year to add a few and what types will grow well in the shade?

Thanks for the assistance. I'm a notice at this type of pond but looking to learn with it and have fun.

Scott

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store