what plants for a South American setup

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

crenwelge

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
Visit site
Ok first off this tank would not be set up it is a future project. it will be a 200 gal tank (see fresh water furom for fish list), and probally be my first time to seriously try and keep real plants although I will probally try to grow some in the near future for some pratice. Ok now the question what plant would be used in a South American themed setup and help would be great thanks.

Botch

AC Members
Nov 29, 2002
South Africa
www.dirk.ohgo.com
Try Echinodorus ("Amazon swords"). There are a great variety of species to choose from.
Or Sagittaria. Or Riccia.
Have a look at www.tropica.com.

wetmanNY

AC Members
crenwelge since you're building your community around angels or discus (hoping you decide between them rather than try to mix them), water plants wouldn't be part of the ecotope you're after. A tangle of bogwood and twiggy brush, which you could simulate with grapevine, deep litter of fallen leaves (last chance to colect them right now), with some floating plants. You might even grow Pothos above the aquarium and let it dangle in the water, where it will make water roots.

Add some peatwater!

(NB: if youroriginal FW forum topic heading had been informative-- like "Amazon biotope in a 200" or something-- I wouldn't have missed it)

crenwelge

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
Visit site
Thanks for the advice but no I am trying to centerr the tank on both angels AND discus, I belive they can live together in the wild so why not in a tank. Would the leaf lilter work in an aquarium, I mean wouldn't rot and spoil the tank? It sounds really cool though. :)

crenwelge

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
Visit site
sorry should have added this to the reply above but oh well. What is a pothos and yes I would be adding black water, after all I want it to be as close as I can get to having just taken a chunk out of the Amazon. Again thanks for the help.

wetmanNY

AC Members
My suggestion was simply because Discus are often said to be happiest and most parasite-free when kept at steamy temps that are warm for Angels. What will happen when pairs form?

There's stuff about leaf litter at www.skepticalaquarist.com in the Aquascaping folder among material on Wood etc. Judge for yourself. Dry leaves give off some tannins. You can get more by making your own peat tea.

Or you can get it out of a bottle, with a little unnecessary salt, labelled as "electrlytes."

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store