Name that Catfish!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

0scar

ichthys enthusiast
Feb 16, 2003
San Francisco, CA
:help: I'm hanging on a limb here
:hang:
I just bought a new catfish, and I have no idea which catfish to research individually to best suit his or her needs.

I just bought a new "Armoured Catfish" ...but looks nothing like the Armoured Catfish (Callichthys Callichthys) on this site. I googled the name, and found nothing, except the Suckermouth Armourd Catfish (Hypostomus Loricariidae). My catfish looks more closely related to the Loricariidae, but in the images i see, none of them have the aggressively prompted "blades" protruding from the sides below his spine along the length of his tail. My fish is very prehistoric looking, very much like an ankleosaur or stegasaurus. Thus far, all the research I've done pointed at "Armoured" catfish without spikes, just "plated-scale" armour. I have no camera to take a picture, so I'd appreciate it if anyone had any pictures so that I may verify... Thanks!

Edited Update: I just realized it is Loricariidae Hypostomus ..with Hypostomus as the subfamily. This is pretty much the species in which most pl*cos are common. This just sets back my research even further. I guess it is safe to say I have an "Armoured Pl*co" (may sound redundant, but it implies the doubley-plated factor of plates with blades), considering he or she does have all the common traits, but exactly which type of catfish?

Last edited:

0scar

ichthys enthusiast
Feb 16, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Yes!!

Yes, that's it. Thank you! We've named him "Macco"... backwards for Occam, as in Occam's Razor. What is the common or generic name for my fish now? Does anyone know where I can find the best information regarding this species?

DOLPHIN CATFISH!!! aka the Niger Catfish or Black Doridae...

Last edited:

0scar

ichthys enthusiast
Feb 16, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Thank you Spartan, now, as opposed to Pseudodoras niger, I realized I have a Pseudodoras holdeni. I only know the difference to be black fins with a greyish body, instead of the other way around.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store