Angels - are they to be avoided in community tanks ??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

suby7272

AC Members
Feb 2, 2005
Hi people

For the first time ever in my life I got myself a pair of marble angels (about 2") and introduced them into my 55G tank. The next day I noticed one of the Female Swordtail's eye missing - this has never never happened in my tank before. The other inhabitants of the tank are
a pair of Clown Loach and BGKF each
4 Red Swordtails
4 Serpae Tetra
2 Boesemani Rainbows

Could Angels be the culprit ?? Or, could this be some disease ? I am confused. Please guide.

Suby

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
I would be more worried about the angels in that setup. Serpae have a bit of reputation for fin nipping and angels have yummy fins. I assume the BGKF is a black knife? I believe they are quite the aggressive fish as well.

CharlieV

AC Members
Feb 16, 2005
Angels have been ok in my community - I lost a couple of tetras the other day (think it was the stress in transport) and the angels ate the corpses (well tried to before i removed them). Mine all live with Cardinals and leave them alone.

Agree with info on serpaes - they will leave yr angels looking more like discuss!

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
If your female swordtail was haveing babies the serpaes may have learned to hone in on such a food source. given the chance they would attempt to start on the mother fish.

Angelfish don't eat just an eyeball in my experience, they swallow whole or kill attempting to. some angelfish are more agressively preditary than others but I would blaim the serpaes for the missing eye.

any long finned slow moveing fish is a potential target for serpaes.

suby7272 said:
Hi people

For the first time ever in my life I got myself a pair of marble angels (about 2") and introduced them into my 55G tank. The next day I noticed one of the Female Swordtail's eye missing - this has never never happened in my tank before. The other inhabitants of the tank are
a pair of Clown Loach and BGKF each
4 Red Swordtails
4 Serpae Tetra
2 Boesemani Rainbows

Could Angels be the culprit ?? Or, could this be some disease ? I am confused. Please guide.

Suby
Angels are ciclids wich are territorial plus they are susceptable to fin nipping.thease are bad trits for a comunal tank!plus they take up as much room as 3 other fish/just think of the added diversity without em.sure their prettyish but but but

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store