Smallest Acceptable Betta Home?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

knashash

AC Members
Oct 28, 2004
Would like to hear thoughts....i mean I know they are stored in a cup but how small can you go without being cruel?

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
with filtration, and a heater.

Holly9937

AC Members
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
My vote is 1g too. Although, I had mine in a 2.5g for a while, felt guilty and upgraded him to a 10g all to himself. He is like a totally different fish now :clap:

mvigor

Aquarium Hobbyist
Mar 24, 2005
Lunchlady land
www.vigorfamily.com
If you read the printed sign hanging by the Betta cups at my local Wal-Mart you will see that it says "blah blah blah muddy water blah blah rice paddies...breath atmostphere oxygen..."

and I quote "...so they not only survive, but they thrive in these cups!"

Yeah, they are THRIVING!

Personally, I see no problem with a 1 gallon tank, but if you use the light you'll get brown algea enough to completely cover the inside of the tank almost every day. It's a pain to clean and will be a complete headache. I guess if you don't want a light you'd be alright.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Due to their swimming habits 1 gallon is probably fine but I have personally found that mine survive much longer in a filtered, heated 5 gallon tank. My old ones always seemed to die after a year.

tmpadmin

Once again obsessed with fish
Sep 22, 2005
Buffalo, NY
I'm sure everyone saw these by now...
Cool but cruel?

They can't be more than 1/4 gal!

kveeti

Easily amused
Jun 12, 2002
Winnipeg, MB
tmpadmin said:
I'm sure everyone saw these by now...
They can't be more than 1/4 gal!
But at least it won't cost a fortune to refill with this "Betta Water"
http://www.bettawater.com/bettawater.htm

I saw it at the pet store in a mall - and couldn't believe it!!! Something like $6 (Canadian) for 1 Litre of water!!! Yikes, nothing like that to make people do LESS water changes.

On size, I guess my thought is 2-1/2 gallons (a divided 5). Though a 5 would for one on its own would probably be better still.

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
IMO, anything less than a 2g is cruel. You need a filter and heater as well.

Bettas enjoy swimming and activity as much as many other fish that would be considered insuitable for 1g tanks... I don't think just because they have a labyrinth should mean that they diserve less.

mvigor

Aquarium Hobbyist
Mar 24, 2005
Lunchlady land
www.vigorfamily.com
That Betta water web site includes these directions:

Directions

Remove fish from bowl and place it into a small container of Betta Water at room temperature. Rinse out the bowl with running water. Apply a final rinse with a small amount of Betta Water, swirl it around to remove any chlorine residue, and discard. Then fill the bowl with fresh Betta Water and add back in your happy pet!
Your betta bowl would have to start the cycle over completely every time if you did that!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store