Stocking a 75 gallon heavily planted

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

shady3210

AC Members
Aug 31, 2005
Will be getting a new 75 gallon soon and this is what I am considering stocking it with

2 angel fish(will buy a few to start and wait for a pair off)
1 pair of pearl gourami
1 pair of Colisa lalia(dawrf blue gouarmi) or maybe 1 pair of Opaline Gourami
6 black skirt tetra
3 bulldog pleco
5 striped loaches
4 otos(not sure about these guys with the angels but I would like them to help clean off the plants)
1 red tail shark

Thats what I have so far. Would like another schooling species that is a mid swimmer but not sure what to go with. How close to fully stocked do you think I am with this set up? Also would 2 pairs of gourami be ok or would I be better off with a pair of rams?

Harlock

Educated Idiot
Dec 15, 2004
San Angelo, TX
members.cox.net
The gouramis have some potential for conflict. Not so sure about red tail shark with otos either, though I think the Angels are fine with them. What kinds of plants are you looking into?

shady3210

AC Members
Aug 31, 2005
Although not final on plants. I'm going to have 3.0 WPG with c02 injection. Looking at various ferns and swords and a foreground carpet plant but still not sure on which I will be going with.

Didn't think about the otos with the redtail hmm might just leave the otos out.

Harlock

Educated Idiot
Dec 15, 2004
San Angelo, TX
members.cox.net
Oh, well post in the plant forum! Glosso is really a nice low growing ground cover. Need a pretty good substrate for Glosso though from what I hear. I've never used it personally, as my lighting isn't high enough to get it to stay with horizantal growth.

shady3210

AC Members
Aug 31, 2005
Ya still researching the plants heh. I will be useing about 100 lbs of eco complete so substrate isn't a problem. I was looking at gloso and really like it might end up going with it to. The mid and back ground plants are still up in the air but what I love about plants is nothing is final and I can always change and rearange :) Fish aren't so easy to change though.... :rolleyes:

Harlock

Educated Idiot
Dec 15, 2004
San Angelo, TX
members.cox.net
shady3210 said:
Ya still researching the plants heh. I will be useing about 100 lbs of eco complete so substrate isn't a problem. I was looking at gloso and really like it might end up going with it to. The mid and back ground plants are still up in the air but what I love about plants is nothing is final and I can always change and rearange :) Fish aren't so easy to change though.... :rolleyes:
They are if you have carnivorous aquatic plants... ;)

shady3210

AC Members
Aug 31, 2005
Lol well think i'm going to scrap the pair of pearl gourami and go with a pair of opaline gourami and some rainbow fish. Also leaving the otos in my 25 gallon heh.

Xielos

how I mine for fish?
Sep 13, 2005
The Blackskirts might make life tough for the angels. I hear they're nippy

shady3210

AC Members
Aug 31, 2005
I have actually never seen my current small school nip. They ussualy just hang out around the middle of the tank peacefully.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store