New Nano Reef Diary, the sequel

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
The diary I started a few months ago about my first venture into reefkeeping has grown to mammoth proportions. The tank needs a new stand, so since I'll have to empty it in order to move it onto the new stand, I figured why not grab a larger tank and upgrade while I'm at it?

So begins this new thread, basically a continuation of the first.

Tonight I chose a new tank, top and stand at Big Al's. The tank will probably be a little difficult to work with, it's 24"L x 12"W x 24"H, a 30g 'high'. I'm planning to pick up an additional light fixture, probably just a couple T5 bulbs, to add to the 80W of PC I've been using - even with a boost, I know the light level will be pretty low near the bottom of this deep tank.

There's a new piece of LR curing in a bucket just waiting to go into the tank, and more of the same in a big tank at work if I find I haven't got enough. I'm hoping to come up with an aquascape that incorporates some nice caves and shaded/low light space lower down in the tank where I can house a sun coral. I'd like to design the tank with a U shaped aquascape rather than the pile of rocks I've got right now, but at only 12" front to back, that might be a challenge.

My little guys have no idea what's in store! Monday is Thanksgiving day and my only plans are to start up the new tank, I'll post pics when it's all done - providing all goes as planned :D

LordsSoilder

Armageddon outa here!
Aug 29, 2005
Holland, MI
www.jc4me.org
Blinky,

Sounds pretty cool, I think you are going to have to make sure you keep some good current to the bottom of your tank. A tall tank will need more oxygen in the water than a wide one. I'm not totaly sure why but I've read it has somthing to do with the surface area of your tank...

Anyway, I like your idea of the caves... I want to do a bid tank with caves, but for now I settle with my small tank with miny caves, My damsels love em...

Just something to think about adding to your tank, moon light. I've heard it's great for night time veiwing, and I'm planning to get one soon, I hope...

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
The Satellite fixture has a moonlight, it's great but nothing beats a red flashlight for watching your critters at night :)

I'm concerned about circulation too, it's going to be a challenge. While I hate the look of extra equipment in the tank, I may pick up a powerhead or two to make sure there's enough water movement. ATM I have one spot in my tank where flow is slower than everywhere else, and I find that's where algae tends to grow. I'll keep you guys updated.

Swimfins

This is as good as it gets.
It sounds super. Ahhh a sun coral purty! I put a plug of 2 anthelia polyps ino the hole of a suction cup and affixed it to the back of the tank and they are waving already (an hour later) Later I might fix one to the powerhead and let the anthelia cover it in time. Its one way of hiding the junk :)

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
Tonight we picked up the stand, tank, the 28W T5 fixture, PH, a bucket of salt, but we're not quite ready to go. I'm considering putting the 14g under the 30g inside the stand, but it'll be a VERY tight fit - only 1" on either side, and though most of the back is open, the corners are the same width (10 1/4") as the 14g's frame. We'll also need to get a piece of lumber to support the bottom, as the bottom of the stand only has a thin piece of plywood, with 2" of space beneath it.

My husband isn't thrilled about plumbing the two tanks together (risk of flood), but he's okay with me keeping it running with a HOB as a little FOWLR or hospital/QT. I've got lighting that I think is sufficient for a tank without corals (spiral PCs) and extra small PHs/HOBs lying around, and it's tempting to set up the 30g BB, leave the 2" of sand in the 14g and let the pistol and goby live there, digging to their hearts' contents!

I've been turning the large pice of LR that's curing in a bucket periodically, so all sides get some light. I noticed three little bumps today, later they opened up - looks like there's a little colony of zoas, as well as the palythoa polyp I found the other day. This is easily the nicest piece of LR I've seen to date, we got some NICE stuff in at work. There's a nearly dead LPS just above the paly polyp that's still got some skin on it, I'm hoping it recovers but I doubt it will.

Freddy - to answer your question, I'm considering getting another fish. I've fallen in love with a tank-raised neon dottyback we have at work, but I asked over at RC and the consensus is that they're pretty agressive and it might not be a great idea. We also have some gorgeous baby clowns (percs, Clarkiis, maroons and tomatos) and I may consider breaking my 'absolutely never-ever will I have a 'nemo' in my tank' policy - these guys are pretty cute :)

reiverix

Aye
Sep 4, 2004
Columbus, OH
Good luck with the new tank Blinky :) I know how methodical you are so I'm sure it will be a big success.

Blinky said:
but nothing beats a red flashlight for watching your critters at night
I did not know that. Must try.

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
Reiverix - methodical? Me? LOL I have SO much still to learn, but I do love to study :)

EMG - they're on the way, Monday is construction day and I'll take loads of pics as I go :D

SF - thanks for the link. Looks like no sump for now though, my hubby isn't too keen on the idea of all that plumbing. I've convinced him that keeping the 14g going is worthwhile, but even that was a stretch.

I agree that letting the shrimp and goby have their own space might be fun - they've never had the run of the place and free rein to throw the sand around, I'm always straightening things out and rescuing corals from their little sandpiles. If I grab them some LR from work and toss in some rubble/crushed coral, I think they'll put on a great show. The only kink in the works is that my husband loves to watch them, and he's afraid that if they're inside the stand we'll never see them. With the stand's door open, the corners are blocked, but you can see the centre 13" of the tank.

I'm pretty sure I'll do it, I want to go BB with the 30g and see if I can get a GSP 'lawn' going on the bottom of the tank. I'd also like to move the crabs into the FOWLR. I think the definitive moment will be when we lower the 14g into the stand - if at that point it looks terrible, I'll leave it empty or keep it going as a QT and leave everyone in the big tank.

ADD --> we bought some pieces of lumber today to fill in the bottom of the stand and support the weight of the 14g, as well as a piece of plexiglass cut to fit the bottom of the 30g (to support the LR). As far as I can tell, everything is in place.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store