nitrosonoma's & nitrobacter / anaerobic bacteria

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Anaerobes won't survive in the same locations as aerobic bacteria. The anaerobes only trhive in low oxygen locations, such as in deep, undistrubed sand, or inside highly porous rocks. There's some evidence that aerobic bacteria can form a thin layer that protects the anaerobic bacteris underneath them--a layered bio-film on glass, rocks, or other tank items. Either way, the aerobic bacteria and anaerobic bacteria aren't a threat to each other. The oxygen levels are what really make a difference to the anaerobes, more than light. The opaque covers are used to prevent algal growth--since the algae producers oxygen, this can threaten the bacteria.

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
Agree w/OG. Oxygen is the enemy for anaerobes, their metabolism is geared to low ORP.

BTW, Nitrosomas and Nitrobacter are not the FW nitrification bacteria, but they and the real FW nirification bacteria are aerobes.

thankyou but your beating around the bush a bit (but also helping to justify my suspicions)
the coil denitrifiers i've seen for anaerobic bacteria have been opaique
the filters for areobic bacteria are almost always clear or transluscent
also deep sand beds & centers of lava rocks whereanaerobis thrive ar dark
wich leads me to believe it grows in the absence of ilumination ony
?DOES LIGHT KILL ANAEROIC BACTERIA?
thanks for the tip on somas & bacter,thought I was reading about FW I guess . I'le find out the names for the FW bacteria somehow
anymore additions or corrections greatly apreciated,it's not like the LFS's reps can talk like this, but they sure are a friendly bunch!

call that an answer SIR
if you don't know ,why answer
you must know how that comes across
but alas this is fishtalk not psychology ,so why the speach lesson. Now your going to teach me how to speak. If you didn't understand the question I can rephrase ,theres no need calling me names.
if we we on peace talks I could understand you overly critisizeing me but again this s just fish chat & i'm not calling you names yet.
sour ,bitter, whatever you are insinuateing I am, the cliche was bread out of hatred, your fishing for a negative responce.
You thought the cliche was the answer to better comunication ?
We expect too much from each other, here I expect a straight answer,& you expect me to yadda yadda yadda .

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store