Eheim vs. Fluval showdown

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hatton3

Where did Noah put all the fish?
Jan 23, 2003
Lexington, KY
Visit site
I just bought an Eheim 2224 for my 55 planted tank that already has a Fluval 304 as the primary filter. I bought the Eheim to supplement the Fluval, and will be gathering anecdotal observations about the two.

Initial impressions:
The Eheim is better built, with solid construction. The water tubes on the Eheim are a heck of a lot nicer than the ribbed tubes on the Fluval. The Eheim is quieter than the the Fluval. I also like the spray bar from the Eheim better - it are smaller and less intrusive as opposed to the Fluval output port. The Eheim is easier to take apart and put back together and I had no trouble starting the siphon on either filter.

But...
I think that the Fluval allows me more options for putting media in the canister. The Eheim only has two baskets, but the Fluval has 3 so that I can put peat, etc. in the canister. I also like the intake on the Fluval better because it is smoke colored plastic and the strainer is smaller and less obtrusive.

Additional, the Eheim is smaller.

I think that both are fine filters at this point and each has their own strengths. It will be interesting to see how efficient that each one is on filtering fine particulate matter in the water column that occurs during water changes.
More to follow...

Aderynglas

AC Members
Feb 4, 2003
Visit site
Hi Hatton

I have to say my Fluval 204 rocks, it was a very good purchase, it came with all the media I needed to start ( I already had plenty of media but for beginners its a bonus) but what do you mean about it being noisier than the Eheim???? I can't hear anything unless I put my ear to the filter and even then I have to listen hard for the very faint hum. As for taking it apart and putting it back again, anything was easier than my trio3000. :D of course I haven't tried the Eheim but I think I may be totally biased anyway lol

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Originally posted by Aderynglas
.......but what do you mean about it being noisier than the Eheim???? I can't hear anything unless I put my ear to the filter and even then I have to listen hard for the very faint hum.....
My Fluval 404 and Filstar XP-3 are very quiet too... :)

jdheff1982

No you're not! I'm Sparticus!
Aug 17, 2002
Wichita, KS
Visit site
Ya! Don't forget the Filstar XP3!!!!

I use a filstar XP3 w/ an AC300 on a 37 gallon and it stays absolutely clear all the time!!! If it wasn't for the fact that the filter is in a wooden cabinet, I would not be able to hear it at all. The only con I have with this filter is the priming. Sometimes it will startright up and other times, in can take about 30 minutes for the suction process to start. To me, a minor set back. All in all, this is an A+ filter!!!! (Haven't tried Fluval or Eheim yet)

Tyler718

AC Members
Feb 17, 2002
Stafford, Va
Real Name
David
I have the same set-up as 80gJoe on one of my tanks. I did the same comparision with these 2 as you are doing with your Ehiem. They both do a real good job and cost a lot less.:)

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Re: Ya! Don't forget the Filstar XP3!!!!

Originally posted by silver_shark
...... The only con I have with this filter is the priming. Sometimes it will startright up and other times, in can take about 30 minutes for the suction process to start. To me, a minor set back. All in all, this is an A+ filter!!!! (Haven't tried Fluval or Eheim yet)
Do you fill the XP-3 to the top of the canister before putting the top on? This has worked for me -- no worries about priming. :)

hatton3

Where did Noah put all the fish?
Jan 23, 2003
Lexington, KY
Visit site
I'd be interested in testing a XP3 as well - I know that a lot of people like them here. But...I've spent $200 on the two canisters in the past 45 days so I'm probably not going to buy another:D I will agree with you - the Fluval is very quiet - I can't hear it unless I open the cabinet doors and put my ear near it. But I can put my ear next to the Eheim and hear nothing.

I am pleased with the Fluval and am actually glad that I have two different brands. I like a little variety:D I just wish that the hoses were not ribbed on the Fluval and that the intake strainer on the Eheim was not so big.

For those that are interested in buying Eheim but don't want the increased cost of buying media, I got my Eheim Professional 2224 from petsolutions.com and it included media. It was cost saving as I don't have any extra media lying around.

I must say that with both of them running, my water is clearer than it has ever been before - it is amazing what extra filtration will do.

Anybody have any experience in comparing Eheim's peat and Fluval's peat or peat granules. Which one did you like better?
Cheers!
John

GulfCstAquarian

Plant Engineer
My Fluval 403 hums pretty loudly. It is the biggest filter they make, and it's not deafening, but the tank is in our bedroom and my wife isn't fond of the audible hum and vibration it makes.

But the part that really annoys me about the filter is starting a siphon. The siphon-ball starter they include is worthless. I've gotten it to work maybe twice. So its either a mouthful of water to start a siphon or fill the container partway and hold it sideways for 20 minutes while the impeller slowly churns and gets all the air out (very tiring).

Next I want to try a Filstar.

Elmo

AC Members
Dec 8, 2001
London, Ontario
Originally posted by GulfCstAquarian
My Fluval 403 hums pretty loudly. It is the biggest filter they make, and it's not deafening,
They make a 404 as well.

Originally posted by GulfCstAquarian
But the part that really annoys me about the filter is starting a siphon
If you do what Joe suggested and fill the canister before putting the top on, you don't have to prime it. Just open the valve and plug it in. :)

Mr. Pez

AC Members
Dec 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
I must agree with GulfCstAquarian. The Fluval 403 is a poorly designed canister filter. Not only does it hum, buzz, gurgle, and often snort, but try to refasten the @#/?! O-ring back onto the motor head. I myself have become an Eheim man and just love the Classic series (I am sure that the Professionals are just as good/if not better).

I have several friends who work in petshops actually recommend against buying the newer fluvals (they receive roughly 10-15 a week to service) while they service around 5 Eheims in the same time period (Forgot to mention that these filters serviced were 1st generation Eheim canisters). Even Eheim filters from 10-15 years ago are still going strong. Can't say the same for Fluvals.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store