5 Gal Bottom Feeders

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Gold

AC Members
Oct 9, 2005
Essex, UK
www.operationmafia.co.uk
I am particularly fond of bottom feeders (cory/catfish), but I am relatively new to all this.
I am intending on buying a 5/6 gal hexagon tank, and filling it with plenty of fake plants and bog wood, while the tank will be in a dim room out of sunlight. Perfect conditions for corys. :D

However I want to know which species will do best, and how many I can keep in the 5 gallon.

I am particularly fond of the smaller corys, such as the Panda and Salt & Pepper, which get to about 1-1.5 inches.
I was at first intending on buying 4 of either species for my soon to be tank.
Would that be ok? I know they are community fish, and they would be the only fish in the tank. I just want to make sure 4 in a 5/6 gallon would be ok, as many websites say many things. :confused:

Thanks
Gold ;)

Satin and Tat

AC Members
Sep 20, 2005
Personally, I think a 5/6 gallon tank (especially a hex) would be far too small for any corys. I have a small school of peppered corys in a 29 gallon, and they pretty much take up all the space on the bottom. A small hexagon tank wouldn't provide them with much swimming room at all, which corys really need.

I don't know how much a 5 gallon hex would cost, but around here, 10 gallon tanks go for less than 10 dollars and, if you really want corys, would provide quite a bit more space. IMO it'd probably be worth it, since the corys would be happier and more active in a larger tank.

Also, by salt & pepper, do you mean Callichthys paleatus? If you do, I've found them to be quite large - closer to 2.5 inches. Have you considered pygmy corys (Corydoras pygmaeus? They're a bit smaller.

Gold

AC Members
Oct 9, 2005
Essex, UK
www.operationmafia.co.uk
After consulting many people, i have decided to abandon the hex tank idea, and i am going for a more traditional shaped 5/6 gallon (rectangular).

10 Gallons are not too much more expensive than 5 gallons here, but it is a matter of space i have.

Many websites did say salt & pepper corys do not tend to be as energetic as other corys. And no, salt & pepper corys are called Corydoras habrosus. And im 99.9% sure they grow to 1-1.5 inches.
While pygmy corys grow to the same size.
The only reason i listed the Corydoras habrosus was i prefer their look to the Corydoras pygmaeus, but either would do really :)

Maybe 3 would suit a 5/6 gallon rectangular tank then?
The reason i thought 4 would be ok, is i calculated using a website’s surface area formula, i would be able to get 6 inches worth of fish in my new proposed rectangular 5 gall.

Would anyone else tend to disagree? Or maybe someone else has a better formula?

Gold

ghinksmon

AC Members
Aug 30, 2005
Northern NJ
Gold, referencing my atlas I agree with you that C. habrosus only grows to 1.5 inches, but I also agree with Satin that (at least here) C. paleatus is most often sold as "salt and pepper". That's why common names stink.

Gold

AC Members
Oct 9, 2005
Essex, UK
www.operationmafia.co.uk
Indeed common names can be confusing, but scientific names can be hard to pronounce :)

Either way, how many small 1-1.5 inch corys (what ever species) would you recommend for a rectangular 5/6 gallon tank?

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
3-4

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store