territorial fish.. want to add another, though.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

redbucket

AC Members
Dec 1, 2004
My current tank:

55 gallon:
1 angelfish
2 male bolivian rams
8 glow light tetra
3 rasboras (almost always school with the tetra)
2 ottos

So, by my rough math and observation of my tank I should be able to add another fish or two to the mix. I would like to add a fish with character, but I don't want my angel (about three and a half inches tall) to try to kill it. I tried to add another angel once, and my original angel chased it around and nipped at it for two days straight (neither of them would eat, too busy chasing and being chased) so I returned the new angel to the store. And because my two male rams (I thought I was getting a pair, but it didn't turn out to be the case. They've split the tank in two and rarely fight, though) are already territorial about the bottom of the tank, I don't want to get a bottom dweller.

The glowlights, rasbora, and ottos seem to exist in their own little worlds, oblivious to the other fish. But, like I mentioned, instead of adding more ottos or rasboras, I'd like to add another "show fish".

Any recomendations?

Thanks for all input!

edit: I have a black gravel and stone substrate, lots of caves and hiding spaces provided by driftwood and rock, and several large sword plants.

Last edited:

Holly9937

AC Members
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
Maybe a red tail or rainbow shark? They are pretty cool looking when they get to be bigger, and I think they could hold their own against the rams without causing much trouble for the other fish. My rainbow shark is actually very docile.

Galaxie

AC Members
Feb 4, 2005
VA
I'd put in twice as many tetras. They look awesome in a shoal.

mooman

Scratch my belly Human!
Mar 8, 2005
Columbus, OH
I duno...any "show fish" worth a spit is a cichlid, and you're maxed out with those. I've heard paradise fish can have personality. I don't like the look of the blue and green ones commonly available, but I've seen a black paradise fish that was a very nice looking fish.

mooman

Scratch my belly Human!
Mar 8, 2005
Columbus, OH
I duno...any "show fish" worth a spit is a cichlid, and you're maxed out with those. I've heard paradise fish can have personality. I don't like the look of the blue and green ones commonly available, but I've seen a black paradise fish that was a very nice looking fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store