"By the book" people you will cringe...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

makai

big kahuna
Nov 27, 2002
Fall River, MA
Visit site
Alright, you guys ready....
Listen to what my good friend has in his fish only 55g tank. *Note* I sat down in front of his tank and watched the action for about 45 min and saw no violent actions at all.

2 1.5" blue devil damsles
1 2.5" clarkii clown
1 3.5" Niger Trigger
1 3.0" Long nose YELLOW BUTTERFLY
1 3.5" Red Coris Wrasse (adult coloration)
1 small Condy Anemone

My tank isn't as bad...check my specs.
I am pushing it though. I haven't seen any excessive fighting except the first day i put in my Niger.

Just thought i'd run my nails down your chalkboard.

makai

big kahuna
Nov 27, 2002
Fall River, MA
Visit site
I agree that his tank may be overstocked, a little:)

I'm thinking of some kind of tang to add to my tank, but that is all for me.......

He has had no problems yet, but its only been a month with all occupants. He does a weekly water change every week (about ten gallons) just like i do. His water quality won't be the problem.

Both tanks are very established. His is just over 3 yrs and mine about 2.

His tank is one nice looking tank though.......

makai

big kahuna
Nov 27, 2002
Fall River, MA
Visit site
I guess the real reason for this post was my gripe and opinions about "the book" situation...

I'm new to the hobby (about 2 years) and i've read tons of literature, books, magazines, and internet sites. I love all the info that people provide in this forum and others even if i do not agree. So thank you all who have given their advice to me.

Personally i think that alot of situations change once captive and all fish of the same species do not act exactlly the same. examples: Had a yellow tang...quote: vegetarian and not aggressive toward other fish. Boy was that wrong...My tang ate two fire fish and would not leave my pork puffer alone and the stress finally killed him. My Niger and My udulated get along great. That is not supposed to happen either. My large Condy hosts my maroon clown fish...From what i've read that is not supposed to happen either. Hmmmmm.

As far as my buddies tank above...His niger swims back and forth and ignores all other fish in the tank. I've also seen his clown and his trigger with the same silverside in their mouth and no violent actions. I have many more contradictions, but while at work i do not have the time.

I'm not knocking anything read. I actually use it as a rule of thumb.(loosly) I take my chances here and there. And i'm not going to throw a shark in my 55g. I just feel some thing can be tryed and the outcome cannot be bad all the time.

Start the flaming....i'm ready

Last edited:

fishfreek

AC Members
Apr 8, 2002
Virginia
www.aquariumadvice.com
One factor is when and how the fish where introduced. If the most agressive are intoduced last then you have a better chance of them getting along or atleast not totally tearing the other fish up as quickly.

Many of the 'by the book' items are written like that to provide a good place to work from. I dont know to many people that have done things 'by the book'.

You say the tank is well established at 3 years but then you say its 1 month with all of the current inhabitants.

Do you know the order the fish where added and how long each has been in the tank?

VoodooChild

Kissin' the Sky
Dec 17, 2001
MN
Visit site
So theoretically, if someone was going to "snap" first, what are the predictions? I know that these fish won't work together, but I'm not to sure why. Just trying to learn more (who's up for a betting pool? jk).

makai

big kahuna
Nov 27, 2002
Fall River, MA
Visit site
I've gone through the pains of not being educated when i first started.... Loss of fish, money and the rest of grabage that comes with learning from trial and error.

My tank started off real well at first...then the spike from hell came about a yr into my experiance. At first i had the infamous yellow tang, a princess parrot fish, two fire fish, and my favorite puffer the porcupine.

The spike killed the parrot fish and the other died from stress and violence coming from my tang. The tang lived.... I hated that tang.
Once everything died and i brought the yellow tang back to the LFS. I left my tank alone with just a hermit type crab for about 3 months. Water levels were good and decided to trnfr everything to a 55gl from my original 45gt. Moved live sand and a couple of dead corals for decoration. Also added about 20 lbs of LR which was dumb because i did not fully understand cured vs. uncured which sent my tank on a cycle again.

55gl ran for about 5 months while adding a few pounds a month and still sending my tank into a cycle each time. Finally invested in broadband and a cpu which helped me learn alot. Thanks to all of you and internet sites and forums i stabalized my water and added a skimmer and only add cured rock. Everything is great now.

order of additions: about a 2-3 weeks between each

Condy
Maroon
Undulated
Niger

had a clarki and a red salon wrasse that died in between these additions. Since skimmer i can't see my water quality killing these fish. Only the dreaded cyanide.......

Now my buddy.... devil damsels and clown and niger have all been in there since i can remember and were all aquired ridiculously small. The rest had been added since the beginning of the year.

Last edited:

makai

big kahuna
Nov 27, 2002
Fall River, MA
Visit site
*NOTE*

I'm not knocking anybody views, ideas or info.

Its all my opinion and the experiances i've had through my rough journey through salt water fish.

about the snapping.....I've got my money on the Niger.

another *NOTE*

what i posted was my buddies tank....my specs are located in my signature. Confusion between tanks in my post may be had. Sorry for the confusion.

I'll say again, that i appreciate all info and ideas posted toward any of my questions. I take all into effect then make my descisions....

frosty

AC Members
Dec 17, 2001
Blair, NE
Right now I have a Niger and a Queen trigger that are best buds, they usually hang out right next to each other. And the queen is about three times bigger than the niger. The niger will even steal food out of the queens mouth. Its great. I think as long as the queen doesnt get too hungry I'll be alright. So much for killer queen reputation.

Altivelis

AC Members
Dec 5, 2001
Visit site
sorry I was reading this thread and I need to vent.
It honestly makes me sick when i hear about people who decide they will learn simply by diving in and seeing what happens. yes it is true that books and reading can't give you everything you need to keep fish. I believe strongly in the concept of "getting a feel for it". I don't own a test kit I just have a feel for when things are doing well and when work needs to be done.

BUT

People should still do as much research as possible before they enter the salt water hobby. The majority of saltwater fish are wild caught and simply letting them die because you are too ignorant or lazy to learn anything about them is what is wrong with the hobby. It is a touchy situation with how the aquarium hobby affects the environment but lack of effort inot learning about what you are doing is certainly not helping this matter. I would rather people make their mistakes with guppy's and goldifsh (which are all basically captive raised) rather than taking fish out of the ocean and have them killed but another fish that has no business being put in the same tank.

Yes it isn't necesary to go "BY THE BOOK" but if you don't own one you are a fool as well. The key is don't go by one book go by as many as possible and form your own opinions from your research. I for one will never be impressed by a list of fish in a tank that will 99% of the time fail. Yes they don't have fur and dont need constant attention but they are still alive and should be treated with at least some respect. Unless you are a scientist preforming research don't attemp the impossible, don't play god with your fishes lives.

Don't know if this all made sense but I hope the gist is gotten.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store